View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12921 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • May 5, 2012

‪Volkswagen People's Car Project, Hover Car - The flying two-seater‬

The People's Car Project is an initiative launched by VW in China to design the new people's car, an open-source project where citizens can submit ideas to VW’s R&D in China.

This is the case of Jia Wang who thought of a solution for traffic congestion in the city of Chengdu with a small urban vehicle, spherical, connected that can be parked everywhere (even in the air!) with a simplified operation allowing everyone to take the wheel.

The video is completely in Chinese, but still watch it -

If we have a Chinese Engineer here reading this, please help us understand what is he saying in this video.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • May 5, 2012
That car isn't real. At least sub-titles should have been in English. But I don't see the car being practical. With the doors opening sideways, there's no way to park this car in dense parking zones.
The_Big_K
That car isn't real. At least sub-titles should have been in English. But I don't see the car being practical. With the doors opening sideways, there's no way to park this car in dense parking zones.
The doors could as well swivel in their own vertical plane, minimising the problem you raised.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • May 5, 2012
bioramani
The doors could as well swivel in their own vertical plane, minimising the problem you raised.
Wouldn't that make entry bit difficult for the 'healthy' people?
The_Big_K
Wouldn't that make entry bit difficult for the 'healthy' people?
If they turn the scale at 55kg as I do, no problem I guess.
I feel that with very highly elastic (>400%) elastomers already available we should perhaps make the 'doors' like stretch skins.
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • May 5, 2012
I also thought that it is fake at first. But then it is just a concept.
We might not see it being practical in another 15 years. Will they follow the concept of mag-levs? (This question might not be right here.)

Share this content on your social channels -