VLC 2.0.4 gets opus codec support

The popular media player VLC has released VLC 2.0.4 with the much awaited opus code support. According to the release notes, the latest update brings a number of fixes and improvements including support for Blu-Ray, DVD, HLS, Ogg and MKV playback. Opus code has many backers including Mozilla, Skype (#-Link-Snipped-#), Google etc.

The opus code has been developed for the advancement of real time communication. The opus is said to have lower overhead, smaller headers and scalability. If made popular, streaming services like Spotify can benefit immensely from the codec. It currently uses the free audio codec Ogg Vorbis format.

Download your copy of VLC here -> VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! - VideoLAN

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Opus can surely play a substantial role in WebRTC for plugin-free voice and video communication within the browser. I also read that the X Lossless Decoder (XLD) on Mac OS X released an update last week, which includes native support for creating Opus files (the previous release supported Opus via a plugin). This lets you easily transcode from various formats and keep all your tags.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Opus can deliver a lot lot better sound even with very low bitrate.
    Plus it's an open-source codec !

end of mp3 ... I smell. 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Troll_So_Hard
    end of mp3 ... I smell. 😛
    Interesting. This could be one of our weekend discussion topic. Do you expect that the songs will all be streamed and people won't really have to download them?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I think Spotify already started it.
    Infact, after spotify many more like Rdio & turntables came into existence.
    As lowbitrate files are even heard better than mp3s, less memory will be utilized while streaming a song so less data will be used & song will be buffered pretty fast so low bandwidth connection users wont have any problem in online streaming songs. Future,Infact.

Opus is Open-source codec, Android is Open-source OS ... Android based music player will rise soon.One more Apple killer idea !
    All hail to Open-Source community !
  • Indrajeet Roy
    Indrajeet Roy
    **Bends down on knees and looks up with a worshipful face** O my lord, grant us the open source version of the many, many games that windows supports!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Microsoft is all set to shake the world with Windows 8 operating system release along with it's own rival to the iPad, Samsung tablets and the Kindle fire called the...
By now, the news must've reached every gadget freak here that Samsung and Google have launched the new ultra-slim Chromebook. It will run on an operating system revolving around Google’s...
Here's a thread dedicated to the 'full form' of the most common abbreviations used in daily life and in professional world. I'm quite sure, over a period of time, it...
Discuss anything about the atom in this thread. New experiments, old ones, what we don't know yet and what possibilities exist out there. I have a question, I came across...
I've been wondering if there's a way or mechanism to trace the current location of mobile via Internet or any other method. I recall a brief discussion we've had about...