Viva Question: How Do Registers Work?

I had a viva last week and I was asked this question.
To put it descriptively, the professor asked me we all know that 8085 is a 8-bit microprocessor and 8086 is a 16-bit microprocessor.
When we say that a register in 8085 stores 8 bit data, what actually happens inside the register?
And what changes were made to the hardware of 8085 to convert it to a 16-bit microprocessor?

Could someone explain the answer to both the above questions?

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Ok i can give the answer upto i know register stores 1 bit of data by alliening the registers no. Of bits will be increased
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, a register is nothing but a collection of flip-flops.. so, an 8 bit register may have 8 flip-flops, while a 16 bit register will have 16 flip-flops in it..

You can check the architecture of 8085 and 8086..

And as to what actually happens in a register, it's easy. The states of the flip-flops are changed according to the word that is written.
    When it's a read operation, the states of the flip-flops are read out..
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    I think 16-bit register means two 8 bit registers.
    Their arrangement may be of two types..
    little endian and big endian.

Though i am not sure....please check..
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think we dont exactly combine two 8 bit flipflop's we can make 16 bit register by connecting 16 filpflops in parallel and it becomes as a register each flipflop can store 1 byte of memory
    if we see the flipflop circuit diagram we can know how it stores memory

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Powertransformers are the backbone of any power system. Hyosung has been manufacturing power transformers with a very good quality for about 40 years. Let us have a look into the...
I wonder why lot of engineering students ask for ready-made projects, project reports, PPTs, cricuits? We get many messages every day that are on the same lines like "I've to...
I draw a boost converter in MATLAB.........while i simulate it,I did not get answer............ I gave supply as 0.7V.............And also I dont know how to fix a range for inductance,capacitance..............help...
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it... What does this quote mean???
[FONT="]Cascade Control Loops[/FONT] -The general concept of cascade control is to place one feedback loop inside another. In effect, one takes the process being controlled and finds some intermediate variable...