Virtualization in IT

The term "virtualization" was coined in the 1960s, to refer to a virtual machine (sometimes called pseudo machine). The very first Implementation of Virtualization was being done before 30 years ago, With the purpose of having logically partitioned mainframe computers into separate virtual machines.

These Virtual machines were supposed to work for mainframes to do ‘multitasking’: running multiple applications and actions at the same time. Mainframes were expensive resources at the time; they were designed for partitioning in such way to completely leverage the investment.

Virtualization is one concept which help IT industry to overcome problems of hardware cost, environment set-up and time saving. I have worked on virtualization for quite some time and wouuld be explaning the same in this thread.

Have you got any chance to work on virtualization ever? Please share your view, knowledge in this thread.

-CB

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CE ran on a virtual machine for a long period of time. I really like the concept & it helps organizations by reducing the cost of hardware by taking out the most from current hardware.

Can't wait to read more information from you, CB! Keep up the good work! 😀
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Virtualization is one concept which help IT industry to overcome problems of hardware cost, environment set-up and time saving. We can divide virtualization in various categories however I would be explaining 5 broad types of virtualization here in this thread (Will provide reference links for the others)

1. Platform / Server virtualization
    2. Storage virtualization
    3. Software virtualization
    4. Application Virtualization
    5. Network Virtualization

More recently the creation and management of virtual machines has been called platform virtualization, or server virtualization.

Lets wait for the in depth explanation of each type of virtualization...

-CB
  • AGRU
    AGRU
    this theme of virtualization is new but by the fact mentioned seems really grt .i wud really like to know more clearly abt it
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    any applicational examples please for me to understand it better?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Platform / Server virtualization -

Platform virtualization is a powerful mechanism for simulating a test setup on a few desktops/servers that would otherwise require "physical" equipments. In other words we can say Platform virtualization is performed on a given hardware platform by host software (a control program), which creates a simulated computer environment, a virtual machine, for its guest software. The guest software executes as if it were running directly on the physical hardware, with several notable caveats.

Access to physical system resources (such as the network access, display, keyboard, and disk storage) is generally managed at a more restrictive level than the processor and system-memory. Guests are often restricted from accessing specific peripheral devices, or may be limited to a subset of the device's native capabilities, depending on the hardware access policy implemented by the virtualization host.

The controlling sofftware which hosts the virtual operating sysem is called as Virtual Machine Managers (VMMs). These VMM's manage each virtual machine individually; each OS instance is unaware that 1) Its virtual and 2) that other virtual operating systems are (or may be) running at the same time.

Example: - As per biggi, in inception phase of CE...

Biggi must have had a physical machine with XP operating system. Then he must have installed a VMM (example: Microsft virtual server / VMWare Workstation), followed by installation of virtual operating system say windows 2003 server. He must have setup CE server on that Virtual machine.

This way he had enjoyed 2 PC's in the cost of 1 physical machine.

Biggi, Please correct m If I am wrong ....

Am I sounding like an alien or making any sense in this post?

Reference link: Platform Virtualization

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CE ran on a shared hosting environment powered by powerful linux server. The OS was CentOS virtualized by Virtuozzo containers. Its important to note that the virtual machine eats up the RAM & CPU of the physical machine its being hosted on.

The technology is similar, but the mechanism of running website public website is bit different.

The example configuration suggested by CB is powerful in an Intranet.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As we all know CAT 2009 is online this time. This thread is dedicated to the CAT 2009 takers. Please share your preprations / methods of preprations for the CAT...
Orange has won the rights to sell the Apple iPhone in the UK, ending O2's two-year exclusive agreement with the technology group. The French-owned group is to sell the smartphone...
Happy Birthday to ... 😁😁 niteshranjan, starkhiladi, prashanth.vs, parihar888, pharmasarathi, nastynicky, stalwart_sandeep, AMITBOSE, upamanyu, jay_dave 😁😁 Enjoy B'day... -CB
First off, I'm assuming that Linux and all its flavors didn't do as well as they should have done. Everyone agrees that UNIX is a better piece of software and...
Hi .its Urgent .Please tell me how to configure MS SQL with PHP.I need to use MS SQL only. but do'nt know how? Please give me link for ebooks for...