Vibrations Turn Any Surface Into Responsive Touch-Screen

'Screenagers' - that's the word that describes all of us. We're already surrounded by a number of screens and the latest research from Singapore's Nanyang Technological University is aiming to turn any surface into a responsive touch-screen. The budget friendly system developed by NTU can turn your whiteboard or even a wooden table top into a touch-surface. According to NTU professor Andy Khong, the technique uses vibrations and imaging to turn any surface into a touch-screen and start tracking the movements of finger, multiple-fingers and even objects. Incredible, isn't it? How about turning your oldie flat TV set into a touch-enabled TV and that too, at a fraction of a cost?

slide

The project's named STATINA (Speech Touch and Acoustic Tangible Interfaces for Next-generation Applications) and it explores the characteristics of the vibration waves propagating through solid surfaces. Using vibration sensors and specially developed algorithms, the researchers were able to pin-point a tap on the screen and tap on the screens. Using a web-cam; the team was able to track movements on the surface of the screen.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajkiran Sangoju
    Rajkiran Sangoju
    That was awesome. So soon we are going to make our unlively things come to life 😁
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Is this technology use projection like other (Microsoft omni) which
    could project touchscreen into any surface.
    i means what is application of converting any surface into touchscreen .we use touchscreen to interface with device software.
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Is this technology use projection like other (Microsoft omni) which
    could project touchscreen into any surface.
    i means what is application of converting any surface into touchscreen .we use touchscreen to interface with device software.

Is it same as Microsoft omni touch?
  • Gurkirat Singh
    Gurkirat Singh
    does it mean we can use any surface as a touchscreen for our laptops or any other gadget ???😕
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Many technologies have been emerging in this new modern era.yes Its good to see new features.Many innovations similar to gesture camera,projection of screen on any surface have already been invented.
    is This inspiring?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    This is wonderful. I would-like to convert my CRT TV into touch-enabled television.
    They leak such an awesome research with minimal details, making me sad.
    How-it-works is explained in mere two lines. 😡

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is it required to provide development length for compression for column bars extending into footing?
DeliverWithMe has come up with a novel concept for shipments. If you're traveling on a flight and don't mind carrying someone's parcel with you - you can receive benefits in...
Hi, Am Always average when it comes to mathematics(72%)...as my physics in board is lot much related to that i got average in that too(70%)...but computer was my main interest...
We all believe that the future lies with the youth of the country. For the youth to channel their ideas, a proper platform is essential. Do you think that opening...
RedTacton is a Human Area Networking technology, which is under development, that uses the surface of the human body as a safe, high speed network transmission path. It is completely...