Viability of Masters by Coursework vs Research

Hey CEans!

While applying for jobs, I was having some inclination towards pursuing postgraduate studies part time locally. A couple of questions popped up, and hopefully this post will also assist those in similar situations.

There appears to be three types of Masters;
1. Master by Research
2. Master by Coursework
3. Master by Coursework with Dissertation

Master by research is where one picks a topic, do research on it and produce a thesis based on it. Most of the graduation requirements are based on this research, with some going to miscellaneous labs.

Master by coursework is where one attends classes, write coursework and examinations.

Master by coursework with dissertation consists of a bit of research thesis in addition to the above.

Now, what is the viability of the Masters that you pick?

I believe that if one wishes to pursue PhD, Option 1 would be the best pick. It would have shown your research prowess and abilities. However, would it be practical to apply in the work environment (other than R&D)?

Option 2 is more suitable for those just wishing to further their studies from the Bachelor level, and proceed on with their careers. Would it be difficult to change one's mind and try for PhD? It would be very difficult to adapt to the research intensive ways of the PhD and may prove more stressful than necessary.

I think thats why Option 3 exists, to cater for those undecided in their future direction. Though, attending both classes and examinations, plus doing some research, might be a little difficult too. Is it still worth it? Would world class universities still view those with Masters by coursework with dissertation as acceptable candidates for their PhD programs?

Thanks in advanced! My apologies if some of the information I posted is incorrect. Please do comment if there are some errors.

[EDIT]
I'm hoping to get some response from those pursuing or having pursued Masters, as well as employers ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    ๐Ÿ˜€ I opted for option 2 in your list. the sole purpose then( career enhancement) was different from what's now( more into lecturing and research) .

there is no option three available in my UNI atleast. But I feel that Option 3 will be tedious and hectic for you ( even option1) firstly becasue you might opt for a part time course and secondly research work needs complete dedication in terms of time and effort. You need to be justifying it right? ๐Ÿ˜€

but if you are really opting for option 1, I persoanlly think you are better of with R&D.

i know few people who are pursuing thier research programs, may be i can get in contact with them to answer your question better.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm sort of indecisive at this point. I feel I want to do both academic and career paths.. but obviously, there are times where I must chose either one ๐Ÿ˜›

I'd appreciate if you can get in contact with the people you mentioned!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Not much of details but this is the information what i could accquire from my friends.

In US Universities : it is agreeable to contiue your research after your MASTERS through COURSE WORK, but yes, it needs that you have enoufh capabilities as a researcher where you might have submiited work of your own or soemthing which shows that you have extraordinary criticla thought during your under grad. this is a criteria on which you can have a guide and scholarship.

After reseacrh , you might end you in R&D section or you might prefer to opt for a position of professor and carry on furhter resrach of your own with your assistant researchers ( whoa re obviously again students).

If you can wait till Tuesday( work hours are over for today, I will try gettin in contact with my student co ordinator) to ask him further possibilities.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, If you want a free virus & malware protection for Windows powered PC, you should take a look at Microsoft Security Essentials : Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection |...
I stumbled upon this article: 15 Annoying Things About Google revisited I agree with almost all of the points mentioned by post author: Brian Mingus. What do you say?
Conversation between me and my colegue me: I am taking a leave this Friday colleague: are you goign out this weekend? me:nopes, I will be sleeping on Friday colleague: what...
Wanted 2009 is a really good movie and i would recommend all those guys who can take some time out to go and watch it in theatre Please go and...
Yahoo is a big name in IT industry, every one of us has used Xerox sometimes in life. Sony .. redhat.. sun... microsoft are other names from which we are...