vending machines

Just saw the vending machine post below and had a doubt...

Many auto -vending machines have the feature of accepting coins and delivering the required item from the store..

Mostly it will something that the machine accepts coins of 1,2,5 Rs.

How does the machine distinguish between coins..??

Is it using any microcontroller..??
or any logical interpretaion of weight of coin (like that).??

And how exatly may be the working of this item

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    I think it depends on weight and there will be a micro control program to manage according to it
  • POOJA JAIN
    POOJA JAIN
    What I think is, there may be a sensor, sensor which senses the different coins, and if there are 1,2,5 rs coins, there would be three different sensor for detecting them each.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    POOJA JAIN
    What I think is, there may be a sensor, sensor which senses the different coins, and if there are 1,2,5 rs coins, there would be three different sensor for detecting them each.

As said by Pooja they used IR based sensor which detects the size of the coin and performs the function according to that.
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    godfather
    As said by Pooja they used IR based sensor which detects the size of the coin and performs the function according to that.
    But the size of the coin can be changed right! it already has!!
    1 rupee, 2 rupees, even 5 rupees sizes arent fixed!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Vending Machine works on different principles:

I have got a change to look into a vending machine at our office, and I have got the wonderful chance to open it and check its working, why I opened I will tell at last.

So, As far as I have learnt. The machine has a optical sensor which has a camera (small) which takes the picture of the bills you have inserted. It then sends the information to the calculating box ( A microcontroller and a computer). SO all the bills you have inserted are scanned.

Next comes the interesting design , the identification of coins. The passage section of coins has series of wires with electric supply. So there will be magnetic field in the section. When a coin is inserted it cuts the magnetic field which depends upon the thickness and material of the coin which is different for different coins. So it differentiates like that!

And if you order a coke, there will be a electric motor which moves the section where you have selected. It gives you what you want.

I accidentally inserted 20 $ bill and It got stuck. So I have to open it then I learnt about it.
  • qaisarpk1
    qaisarpk1
    Vending machines read coins according to their individual characteristics, mainly their thickness, diameter, and the ridges on their edges.
    e.g US quarte dollar is .995inches in diameter, .069 inch thick and 119 ridges on the outer edge.
    paper currency is printed with magnetic ink, so it is scanned using a magnetic scanner that looks for the magnetic ink that is unique to each denomination.
    some vending macines read credit card.credit card is printed with a magnetic strip on the back of the card. vending machines are suported with magnetic strip reader.data read from this strip is fed to small processor for further processing like card no etc
  • bharathpb
    bharathpb
    Nice Explanation English -Scared..

But I still have something fishy in my mind.
    As you said:
    When a coin is inserted it cuts the magnetic field which depends upon the thickness and material of the coin which is different for different coins. So it differentiates like that!
    What if we have a dupli coin ..acting as same thickness and material...??I havent tried....but what if..
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Wow awesome... But in case of 1 re telephone booths, I guess this is not the way, coz I inserted 2 rs coin and made a call for 1 re! 😔 I didn't have any change and I had to do it... 😔

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What started with $1million investment in 2005 soon grew to a multi-million dollar business in just few years and one of the top visited sites in America. AOL is now...
Hey everybody, I have been browsing through all kinds of forums for an Indian oriented forum on CISCO certification but to no avail. No offense to CE but I really...
If you are thinking of buying a brand new limousine just wait! You need to think over again. Because Xenatec in collaboration with Maybach launched a luxurious coupe model. The...
what are the basic instruments required for practicing analog electronics' practicals at home??i know about some such as breadboard,resistors,diodes,transistors.... what else???and please also discuss their prices.thanks in advance!!!
Lifehacker, the popular 'how-to' blog by Gawker Media has undergone a makeover. You can view the new design live on their official site: Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things...