velocity of air just under ceiling fan...

hello to my friends..
i just want to know that when a ceiling fan runs it circulates the air arround it downward. so how we calculate the the velocity of air just under the fan blades..when it moves radially with the fan blades..
some one told me to just equates the electrical power with mechanical power but did not get it clearly...so will u provide me the good solution for this problem...thanks..!

Replies

• Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Starting with a simple square wooden paddle turned at angle q and rotating around an axis in the horizontal plane. The paddle will present a frontal area (in the horizontal plane) which is a simple geometric function of the area of the paddle and the angle q.

It is obvious then that the paddle will displace this volume every revolution. But remember: the velocity of the air is a function of radius (tangential velocity) and hence it will change at different points on the length of the blade. I would have put some formulas here but I do not know how to do that 😕
  • vvishwaskumar
    vvishwaskumar
    Voltaire
    Starting with a simple square wooden paddle turned at angle q and rotating around an axis in the horizontal plane. The paddle will present a frontal area (in the horizontal plane) which is a simple geometric function of the area of the paddle and the angle q.

It is obvious then that the paddle will displace this volume every revolution. But remember: the velocity of the air is a function of radius (tangential velocity) and hence it will change at different points on the length of the blade. I would have put some formulas here but I do not know how to do that 😕
    thanks Voltaire
    would u elaborate this clearly using some formulas...or through some derivation..!
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Ok. I don't know how to (if) formulas can be posted and even to post the letter p takes time and some knowledge.
    Consider a perfectly frictionless paddle with dimensions 0.1m x 0.1m moving at velocity v in a straight line and angled at angle q with the vertical. The frontal or effective area of the paddle is then A[sub]e[/sub] = l x b = 0.1m x 0.1m x cos(q). We can say that the volume of air displaced per second is the effective area multiplied by its velocity i.e. A[sub]e[/sub] x v = Q.

In a rotating paddle the angular velocity is also dependent on the radius i.e. how far from the centre so that the velocity depends on where you measure it. If you measure near the tip then the air velocity would be higher that near the centre since v[sub]c[/sub] = r x w. To calculate the total air flow you should end up with an integral with respect to dr.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Right; so I did some searching and found out that there is no real life calculation. Eddies and floor effects affect internal recirculation and even precise CFD simulations came up with the wrong answers (see Modeling of Ceiling Fan Based on Velocity Measurement for CFD Simulation of Airflow in Large Room, Y. Momoi, K. Sagara, T. Yamanaka and H. Kotani). There are some correlations though between power spectrum density and frequency/volume curve. Although these are interesting it does not provide a definite and conclusive answer; merely a relationship between a probability and a ratio - if my understanding is correct.

It is nevertheless a good question 2 stars[​IMG][​IMG]
  • gohm
    gohm
    And also a good discussion and answer session as well!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what kind of modulation are adopted in bluetooth technology?
The Great Place To Work website has released a list of top companies to work for in India - 1 Google India Pvt. Ltd. 1259 employees Google Industry: Information Technology...
wat is CE all about??
i need to work on blender as our mini project, may i get some technical topics which can be shown in 3d, as m new to animation, i need an...
hi,i got selected in patni on apr 15th through vit off campus, but stil i dn recieve any offer letter.im really upset...could pls tl me when they will issue...