Vehicle that runs both on Petrol and Diesel - is it possible?

Is there any researches going on by the Scientists , discovering a Vehicle that runs both on Petrol and Diesel ..?

If No , Then Why Dont they ..?

Replies

• white_hat
    white_hat
    Diesel and petrol have very different chemical properties,ignition temperatures etc....
    They burn ignite at different compression ratios.Research is going on in developing variable compression ratio IC engines.But no engine (as far as i know ) is developed which can run on both diesel and petrol.
  • Udaya Bhaskar
    Udaya Bhaskar
    Woww ..! Sensible Answer ..! Thhnk yu Fellow ..! ^_^
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Research these days is more focused on getting vehicles to work on electricity and a fossil fuel working together. These vehicles are called 'Hybrid Vehicles'.
  • Udaya Bhaskar
    Udaya Bhaskar
    Fact is, there are a number of Advantages in Hybrid cars..! Yet there are also a handful of disadvantages that have kept them from dominating the new car market, even in an era of high gas prices and climate change concerns...!
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    fossil fuel means?
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Google "HCCI engines". Those are being designed to burn all kinds of fuel in a single engine. But since you mentioned "vehicle", I might add that Gas Turbines can burn wood, coal, heavy oil, diesel, gasoline or gas.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    I heard about shaktiman engines which can burn all types of fuels,which are used in military vehicles.Is it right?
  • Udaya Bhaskar
    Udaya Bhaskar
    jaspal rautela
    fossil fuel means?
    Any naturally occurring carbon or hydrocarbon fuel, such as coal, petroleum, peat, and natural gas ..!
  • Udaya Bhaskar
    Udaya Bhaskar
    Gurjap
    Google "HCCI engines". Those are being designed to burn all kinds of fuel in a single engine. But since you mentioned "vehicle", I might add that Gas Turbines can burn wood, coal, heavy oil, diesel, gasoline or gas.
    In which field do these Engines Used Currently for Work Purposes ..? And I have an another Question for u , Does Gas Turbines Burn Petrol ..?
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    These shaktiman engines were used in military vehicles.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    N.SACHIN
    Can I have more information on that.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    I think there are prototype engines which can run at variable compression ratio(eg: saab svc).Most of them vary between 8:1-14:1, these can burn only gasoline. Diesel engines have a compression ratio of above 20:1.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Udaya Bhaskar
    In which field do these Engines Used Currently for Work Purposes ..? And I have an another Question for u , Does Gas Turbines Burn Petrol ..?
    HCCI engines have been extensively developed, and will probably see widespread military applications soon enough. I can't say when the major auto companies will roll out their cars with these installed.

As for Gas Turbines, these burn their fuel in a tube, and then expand the hot gases produced therein between stages of blades to rotate a shaft. AS you can expect, GTs aren't fuel-specific.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    I googled military multifuel engines and this is all I found. This was in a forum, so investigate before believing it.

The secret is a special type of injector that sprays instead of fogs, along with a cupped piston that swirls the fuel with a compression ratio of 22 to 1 , and a fuel density compensator in the back of the injector pump that plays a major part in the working. Found it here: #-Link-Snipped-#/f...hp?t-5189.html
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    you might check on an ANGIQUE TRACTOR website as thet were old tractors made that would run on either gas or kerosene.some would start with gas and by turning or flipping a switch they run on kerosene.
  • mechky
    mechky
    No, it is not possible to use the same engine to run on both the fuels.

It is not even possible with HCCI to use both the fuels simultaneously or alternately on the same engine. HCCI is a combustion technology that can be applied in case of petrol, diesel & hydrogen. HCCI can be implemented for combustion of any of these fuels but when a engine is designed for HCCI, it is designed for a specific fuel only.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    You are right #-Link-Snipped-#. HCCIs can't burn all kinds of fuels in a single engine yet. But the HCCI technology is still under development, and one of its main aims is to develop a multi fuel engine.
  • shubham salwan
    shubham salwan
    Auto ignition temp of petrol is v high as comparison of these diesel oils thus petrol cant b used in compressed ignition engines
    Similary spark plugs are there to ignite fuel in petrol engines
  • Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Petrol engine needs "spar plug" to ignite the fuel (petrol)😒 and the diesel engines don't😨 . So may be you can use both petrol & diesel on an SI engine and cannot be use used on a CI engine.👀
  • Kamlesh Vora
    Kamlesh Vora
    Probably in military vehicles and specially Tanks have such Multi fuel technology, and Russian tanks T 72 are only know machine.
    There is another un said story that during Indo-Pak war 1965, Indian army Tanks were out of fuel ad they used Ghee from villagers as fuel Diesel Engines, its just heard story maybe false. But Ghee can be used as fuel if Diesel jet allows.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Everyone .., I would like to know, what all subjects will I come across in 2nd year Engineering of Computer Science Department ..? And I would like to what...
Hey everybody! My name's Vassilya. I'm 2 years into school for Biotech, transferring to University of Newcastle (AUS) in January, and my life goal is to create a fire-breathing dragon....
hello, which is the best book to get the basics of current and electromagnetism?
Our economy are in a position to build strength during this interval(eurozone) but ​If Europe does slip into a crisis, it is going to be a very difficult time. There...
my self prerana patel😀...m frm satna(m.p.)...m in class 12th ...2012-13...frm maths stream..nd i wanted to do something freat in engineering..something nevr done before..! vese mah passion is to be designer..!...