Vanadium Content in 4330V Steel

Hi all,

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum! I have some questions with regards to 4330V steel. This is a Vanadium-modified 4330 steel, with Vanadium contents ranging from 0.05 - 0.15%.

I work for a company that builds tools for the mining industry, and our steel suppliers are divided on the issue of Vanadium content. Some say it should be near the 0.05% minimum, others say it should be at or near 0.15%.

The problem is that nobody here understands the impact of Vanadium in this steel and how (if at all) it affects its properties.

Any input?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sterlingz
    Hi all, The problem is that nobody here understands the impact of Vanadium in this steel and how (if at all) it affects its properties. Any input?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Joseph Christie
    Joseph Christie
    Sterligz

According to you,"Some say it (V content) should be near the 0.05% minimum, others say it should be at or near 0.15%." and
    "The problem is that nobody here understands the impact of Vanadium in this steel and how (if at all ) it affects the properties of steel "

I am not a metallurgist and most engineers and scientists rely on published data to settle a point like the one you have raised. Vanadium is a lot harder material than 4330 steel, and doping the latter with trace amounts of pure V imparts some of the hardness in modified steel. Either you buy these expensive manuals or publications that find out the facts or you do a hardness test in your engineering lab. But don't doubt the experience of others by wondering aloud if the addition of Vanadium in such low percentages (either at 0.05 % or at 0.15% ) really does something to the mechanical properties of steel . You may know that it is only this vanadized steel that is used in making hardest to break safes in banks etc.

You can , here is US, buy test coupons or strips of the various alloys to do the mechanical testing.
    You may want to check out the info using the link below:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Joseph Christie
    Joseph Christie
    added some info to previous message

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Which course is better among embedded systems, VLSI, Java, .net, Oracle & networking. First of all i would like to thank these forums for providing valuable information about the languages,...
Google Chrome is the most used browser across the Android phones throughout the world. However, a recently demonstrated experiment shows that it is the most easily exploitable browser on an...
Snapdeal has introduced 'Snap-lite', the mobile optimised version of snapdeal.com. The timing of the announcement is quite interesting as it comes just about four days after its rival Flipkart announced...
I had chosen Quora daily data analysis, it means I had the rough data (it is obtained by subtracting qids of 2 ques. of two days) of ques. per day....
1) what is css? 2) what do you understand by the term HIDS & NIDS?