utorrent program and linux

I had two programs bittorent and limewire that stopped working on my windows. I've just found and installed another one, #-Link-Snipped-# but it is blocked too. I think it's a windows problem. I have only one computer and it's pretty hard to switch to linux. I want to know before, will this program work on linux and on which version.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    matt
    I had two programs bittorent and limewire that stopped working on my windows. I've just found and installed another one, #-Link-Snipped-# but it is blocked too. I think it's a windows problem. I have only one computer and it's pretty hard to switch to linux. I want to know before, will this program work on linux and on which version.
    Although I don't have much experience on Linux based OSs, most of the programs are supported on Ubuntu, RedHat, Fedora, SuSe etc. You might want to check out the program's website for the system requirements & supported OSs.

It isn't very hard to switch to Linux. If you have enough HDD & Memory, you can install Microsoft Virtual PC or VMWare to create a virtual machine inside your Windows OS and run the other operating system from Windows.

If that doesn't work, get a LIVE CD and boot your computer using it. Should get your work done.

-The Big K-
  • matt
    matt
    I'll try with a live cd to see if I can manage. Before starting to search about Microsoft Virtual PC, I have another question. Is it free?
  • matt
    matt
    I would also like to know if using this kind of live cd could be a danger to my files that I already have on my computer from Windows?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    matt
    I would also like to know if using this kind of live cd could be a danger to my files that I already have on my computer from Windows?
    Hi Matt,

Live CD won't alter or even touch existing files on your HDD. Go through this wiki description of Live CD for more information about Live CDs - Live CD - Wikipedia

I hope it helps!

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    wait, you can test programs with a LiveCD?
  • mahul
    mahul
    sure ash....u can always do that.the only problem arises when ur program wants to write to some file on an ntfs file system,this can't be done on any linux system,rest evrything is just as if linux were installed in ur hdd
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Matt, theres a different program named BitTorrent in Linux based systems. That would work the same as utorrent ๐Ÿ˜€
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    - You can run the same utorrent on Linux using Windows Emulator (Wine)
    - You can dual boot just leave a drive with 5 GB or so for Linux installation
    - You can try the live CD but there'll be a problem which is mounting NTFS or FAT32 partitions Linux can't see them automatically you've to write something in the terminal (Unless you'll setup Mandriva distro which has full support for NTFS drives).

**Download the distribution you like (Ubuntu is Recommended)
    and burn the ISO on some CD and try it live you'll have access to internet there
    come here and ask if you faced any problems.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    NTFS and FAT32 mounts are not an issue. Linux detects and auto-mounts both of these drives generally. For older versions you can always make an entry in /etc/fstab file ๐Ÿ˜€

Completely agree with Ubuntu!!
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    When I installed my Ubuntu gutsy 7.10 (I think it's new version)
    It didn't mount automatically with my drives NTFS, I see it from newbie prespective because its horrible for you to lose all your drives I was like "OMG my data gone!" when they didn't open, I assume the bad case.

VIVA L'Ubuntu ๐Ÿ˜
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    hehe ... yes, I know the feeling! but you can mount those NTFS drives in Ubuntu 7.1 ... so no issues. Aye Aye!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    hehe ... yes, I know the feeling! but you can mount those NTFS drives in Ubuntu 7.1 ... so no issues. Aye Aye!
    { Off Topic }

are uTorrent downloads safe? ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    ummm ... well, people do torrents mostly for two reaons -
    1. media content
    2. softwares

if its media content, the risk is downloading a wrong file.

if its software, the risk lies in malware introduced in the setup, et al. or worse.

But, with my experience of torrents, its been safe so far *touch wood*

But I guess, the most challenging part with the torrent way lies in finding a good seed file and a good client which does not introduce you to a host of virii or other such stuff.
  • matt
    matt
    matt
    With some 'external' help I succeeded to set up linux toghether with windows on my computer, utorrent did not work with wine although it was supposed to be able to run, however #-Link-Snipped-# is succesfully running on my linux. Thanks a lot for your time.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys im 17 and have been thinking about doing engineering now for about a year and i think its time i learn some of the basics before college!! i...
Hello CEans, I'm working as an automotive engineer in VietNam. I've intention to pursue a master course abroad. But I'm not sure where should I go for study (as cheap...
hi all, i am working on my graduation project and i need an answering machine circuit diagram. i hope to find an easy to follow one with enough explaination about...
help!! am a new ce member , i am building an ic car with a 3.2 cc diesel engine and a cvt (continuously variable transmission ) i have the following...
I am currently in the 3rd year of my BE (EC). So, quite obviously, everyone around is quite anxious about the placements. I am preparing for GATE 2008. Intend to...