Using GSM to transmit gps data

Im doing a project to send gps data via gsm mobile phone.But i dont know how to interface a mobile with my PIC16F877A.I understand from my seniors that it would be easy if ihave a mobile with serial DB9 connector .But thats rarely used today and problem of availability too.Can someone suggestwhat to do.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, nowadays new phones use mini USB ones. Try to find old 2nd hand phones.. they are usually available at phone shops. I'm not sure if they would still have the DB9/RS232 data connectors with them.. you can search on ebay.

Alternatively, since most phones have bluetooth, there are bluetooth modules available that interface with the PIC via UART.. but they are a little costly. Sparkfun has this one: #-Link-Snipped-#

Btw, please post more on CE! You've been here since Aug 07 😉
  • Sukesh
    Sukesh
    Thanks for the reply. But i still could nt find the data cable with that sort of connector.Friends if any of you have one and would like to sell it please contact me.My phone no. 919496170551
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sukesh
    Thanks for the reply. But i still could nt find the data cable with that sort of connector.
    What is the model of the GSM phone you have?
  • coolsank
    coolsank
    you can check this out..its something similar..called MyLocation by Google...

here's the link : #-Link-Snipped-#

Also, this person has tweaked MyLocation further to provide a more accurate position estimation based on Python code....Check it out:
    'Techno-maniacal-freakishness': hacks

Here's the link to the code he has used:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    For sending SMS you can use GSM MODEM which is available in market
  • Sukesh
    Sukesh
    Yes GSM modem is an option but costly i suppose.Can someone tell me whats FBUS and can it help me to send sms in mobiles.
  • emralrajkumar
    emralrajkumar
    please try to another network

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi to all, ahm can you give me idea or info about pc base disco lights... because were undergoing thesis and we need more info about disco lights, pc base...
hi.. i have decided to change my topic i want to do a fingerprint attendance system (biometric attendance)...can any one give me the details regarding this...circuits, tools and programs regarding...
While researching stuff for my fyp, I came across this link: EnOcean Self-powered RF Modules - Ad Hoc Electronics I only know very rudimentary forms of self powered FM receivers...
do anyone know how to interpret the graph which the y axis = modulus, hardness VS x-axis = displacement into surface . this graph is the result from the nanoindentation...
CEans, Those who appeared for CAT 2008, do not forget to check your result on the following location - https://results.catiim.in The result will be available from 9[sup]th[/sup] January 2009 onwards....