Useful posting!

While going through the threads, I have noticed that people just post anything, whether its said previously by someone else or its lame or useless, they just post it. Eg. in a thread where someone asked about removing a virus from the C:/, people are suggesting the same thing -- scan with an antivirus & format your system. If somebody suggested it earlier then you, you don't need to type it again. Also there was a 3-4 similar thread on the same topic.
Just increasing your no. of posts shouldn't be your motive, you should post useful stuffs.
A visitor or a normal member wastes much time, when he is trying to access some information & finds the same thing said again & again.
I think, these things decreases the informational value of the site, though you have the freedom to write anything, but its of no good.

I'm just suggesting, there should be some amendment in the rules. No offense by the way.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree with you. Even though we are an engineers website, people have to be reminded of simple rules (No SMS, Provide appropriate title, don't ask for free lunch etc.).

What you are suggesting cannot be taken care of by making amendments to the rules. Otherwise, our computer science section would not get questions solely about computer troubleshooting.

Quality discussion topics will attract quality posts. Any suggestions for starting quality posts on CE?

PS: Of course, there's no offense. Keep your suggestions coming.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Suggestions:
    1. Members should search the forum for the topic, they are going to post. If the information is already present, they shouldn't post it. If they post there thread should be locked. If we are reading the same type of threads, then we are not improving at all. We should move on & forbid stagnation.
    2. No duplicate posting. If someone said earlier what you are going to post, then you shouldn't post it again, its of no use, you are just increasing your posts.

These steps will not increase the quality of posts, but they will increase the ratio of quality/quantity.
    Quality of posts solely depends on the quality of members . To improve the quality, members should be encouraged to post quality threads.
    In fact the rating system should be based on the quality & usefulness of threads & posts the member is submitting, instead on the no. of posts .
  • gohm
    gohm
    That is an existing issue with all forums. It is a fine ballance as forums that have been around for some time, in many areas there is not anything much new to add so in order to stay active old topics will be updated and reoccur. plus policing the issue is very difficult and you tend to get many user posts of "do a search" which also does not add to the quality. It is tough! You have some great ideas and thoughts, keep it up.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hi VIK,

yup! there had been many attempts made to increase the quality of posts, one of it was known as the awesome thread contest, as well if you have noticed( given that you have been quite active ๐Ÿ˜) we have CEan of the month every month to reward best contributing member for a month.It doesnot generally depend on number of posts, it depends on the quality of the posts made.

More active participation with quality posts is needed understood, but members as well need to understand that ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We'd have loved to have quality posts, but then its disheartening to see free lunch seekers. We rely on those few members who keep the value quotient of the forums high.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    i agreed by vik...,one idea i can suggest is that we should sent a notification ..through a message to newbie.as just he /she registered.and to follow strictly.quality should be maintained..
  • safwan
    safwan
    I too agree with VIK
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is a nice idea , but students join (most of the ) for projects.

They dont read any rules or anything , they just register and post a query asking for projects.

Than happens everywhere!!

But indeed its a nice suggestion ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    One way of increasing the quality of posts is increasing the quality of members. No offense to anyone :shifty:, by quality I mean experience.

What I mean is, right now a large chunk of our members are students most of whom are seeking help. We should aim at bringing engineers who've been working for a little while into our ranks in a big way. This will bring experience into the forum, which is bound to increase the quality of posts.

Even I joined the forum as I wanted help with my final year project. (But unlike some members who leave if they don't get an answer, I stuck around.)

Once again, no offense to anyone..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No there is no offense meant. This thread is meant for constructive feedback. Starting January, we are taking up an ambitious project of reaching nearly every engineering college in India. We may pick up lot of talented engineers from colleges. If successful (which I'm sure) we'll expand our project in different countries around the world.

Secondly, we need to popularize CE among experienced professionals. Lot of currently active members will be joining workforce next year and they can do a great job of bringing in folks from offices ๐Ÿ˜€

Each one of us should be focused on getting quality content on CE forums - so that all experienced folks are attracted. ๐Ÿ˜€

On the Internet, 'Content is the king!'. We need a steady focus on that!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ CE Colloquium: Online paper presentation/seminar contest ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ {Update}: Entries are no longer being accepted. About CE Colloquium: We had been brainstorming on conducting an online paper presentation contest on...
Official Announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/28917-ce-colloquium-online-paper-presentation-seminar-contest.html Read the announcement carefully before you ask questions ๐Ÿ˜€
Please suggest a textbook of maths for GATE 2010.. I am an Information Technology student. Please suggest a textbook of mathematics for GATE 2010. The syllabus for the same(for CS/IT)...
I hope most of you ceans must use love calculator to calculate love percentage here I am posting a code in java that will calculate love percentage with your partner...
October 01, 2009 COMMERCIAL scientists have demonstrated a world-first diamond electronic device that is expected to markedly cut the cost of renewable energy generation. The all solid-state device creates the...