Use of heat pump as vapor absorption machine

Dear All,
As the basic working principle of heat pump and vapor absorption machine lies in the conversion of phase change in refrigerant and concentration of Li-Br, can we use heat pump as a vapor absorption machine using evaporator circuit of heat pump to cool the fluid?

Thanking You.

Regards,
Harshad Katre

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    All that a heat pump does is to remove heat from a lower temperature source and delivers to a higher temperature sink. This can be a vapour absorption system or an evaporator system.
    If you can explain your application in more detail perhaps more people will help with their ideas.
  • Harshad Katre
    Harshad Katre
    I have Vapor absorption system designed for cooling water upto 10 deg C. But I want cooling water at 8 deg C for my process cooling. Can I use heat pump evaporator section to cool the fluid below 10 deg C?
    Pls reply.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Depends. The vapour pressure in the evaporator has to be well below the saturation vapour pressure of the fluid at 8 C. Otherwise the temperature will not reach 8 C.
  • Harshad Katre
    Harshad Katre
    Thank You Sir.
    But Can I use heat pump as vapor absorption refrigeration system with some modifications?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am a bit confused. A heat pump just pumps heat from a lower temperature to a higher temperature just as a water pump pumps water from a lower level to a higher level. Any cooling system is therefore a heat pump. Even the domestic refrigerator and AC are heat pumps.
    Since we are only moving the heat a heat pump can move about three times its power. This is in contrast with a heater, which will generate an exact equivalent of heat. That is 1 kWHr = 860 kcal. A heat pump will move about 2500 kcal for the same consumed power.
    Coming back to what you asked, the vapour absorption equipment is quite different from a compression/vapourization system. If your heat pump is a vapour absorption system you can modify it to your purpose.
    If you can post more details, may be some one here can give a better answer. Otherwise you will get only general answers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hii, i am not able to get any sort of idea about my project help me with some titles along with the abstracts.i wish the project must be the most...
I am from an arabic country called sudan, located in africa . i study in sust (sudan university for science and technology), electronics engineering , school of industrial electronics ....
Tell me any creative ideas in the field of computer science....
Hello I am installing a pipe conveyor and I would like to know the methods of pipe (i.e the steel cord belt) pulling through the modules/galleries from the tail end...
Hello Everyone, This is Shameeran, I live in Chennai and i have completed my Engineering in mechanical discipline. I am totally crazy about automobiles and explore existing things about the...