Use of geopolymer in ferrrocement.

Project Abstract / Summary : Concrete is the most commonly used, man-made, construction material. However, high-energy requirement and pollution involved in the production of cement hampers the image of concrete as a sustainable material. Efforts are continuously being made to make concrete environmentally friendly. Some industrial wastes like fly ash, silica fume, ground granulated blast furnace slag, rice husk ash, etc that are rich in silica and alumina are being used as cementitious materials to partially replace cement in concrete in order to conserve natural resources. The materials like metakaoline are also considered as partial replacement to cement. Geopolymer concrete is a new development in this regard. In this type of concrete, cement is totally replaced by fly ash and activated by alkaline liquids to act as a binder in the concrete mix.Experimental investigation has been carried out to study the effect of concentration of sodium hydroxide, temperature and its duration on flow and compressive strength. Activated liquid to fly ash ratio of 0.30 by mass was considered. Sodium silicate solution with Na2O 16.37%, SiO2 34.35% and H2O 49.28% was considered. The concentration of sodium hydroxide solution with 13 Moles. River sand with grading similar to that used in testing the compressive strength of cement was used as fine aggregate. Geopolymer mortar cubes of 70.7 mm side were cast. The temperature of curing was 900C and the duration of curing for each temperature as 8 hours after demoulding. Test results show that the flow of geopolymer mortar increases with increase in the concentration of sodium hydroxide. The compressive strength of geopolymer mortar increases with increase in duration of heating at constant temperature. Temperature plays vital role in accelerating the strength, however beyond 900C the rate of gain of strength is not significant. Similar trend was observed for higher concentrations of sodium hydroxide for the same temperature and duration of curing.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : Becouse the rate of production of carbon dioxide released to the atmosphere during the production of Portland cement is in increasing order,and this is very hazardouse for our envorinment so to avoid this we are working on our topic.

Project Category : Civil / Structural
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: sanjivni college of engineering
City: kopargaon
State: maharashtra
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi frnds..I am B.E mechanical engineering 2 year I desired to do something special... I have interested in my core field only.... So that what I should learn...... I need...
Project Abstract / Summary : Portable Start Menu is portable software solution allowing you to take your favorite software with you. A fully open source and free platform, it works...
Project Abstract / Summary : AUTOMATIC SPEED CONTROL IN AUTOMOBILES ABSTRACT Speed control is in the need of the hour due to the increased rate of accidents reported in our...
Microsoft is reportedly developing an app called People Sense that allows users to share their location and find other people around. Though there is no official announcement from Microsoft as...
how I import my database to wamp??