Use of ammonia cycle in steam power plants

Steam Power Cycle is used generally in Thermal Power plants. Suppose we replace water with Ammonia . I think it has the property of evaporating quickly when the temperature is slightly increased. I mean it evaporates at a pretty low temp itself. So, can ammonia be used to drive the turbines. It can also be recovered as in the Vapour absorption Cycle used in Refrigerators. Give some suggestions if anything could be done!!

Replies

• rajevnaik
    rajevnaik
    In case of any leakage, Ammonia is very risky for human lives.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I do not know about Ammonia, but I have heard Mercury being used. In case of Ammonia, I think the concept is good. just wait while i search something for it. 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ishutopre
    I do not know about Ammonia, but I have heard Mercury being used. In case of Ammonia, I think the concept is good. just wait while i search something for it. 😀
    Other low boiling liquids like organic solvents (Hexane) have been used in closed loop circuits for harvesting thermal energy earlier. Your idea is good. However, ammonia may not be the best choice of fluid. I have never heard of Mercury in this context. Something not right there. For one thing, the boiling point is too high, it is too expensive, very high density and extremely toxic.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hmm OK it seems that I was a little wrong. Mercury was used as a coolant in nuclear reactors. Just found the book from where I had read the fact. Regarding Ammonia, let me some time for a search on net and good sources. 😀
    Amith Gupta
    Steam Power Cycle is used generally in Thermal Power plants. Suppose we replace water with Ammonia . I think it has the property of evaporating quickly when the temperature is slightly increased. I mean it evaporates at a pretty low temp itself. So, can ammonia be used to drive the turbines. It can also be recovered as in the Vapour absorption Cycle used in Refrigerators. Give some suggestions if anything could be done!!
    i think it depend upon molecular density and the resources also that is provided means preservence of ammonia is quit difficult ihave the same doubt but basically i found that
    which depend upon molicular density the molicules that hits the propellor in per unit volume matters😁
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    as you are confused with mercury. It is used in plants operating on Binary vapour cycle. The plant needs some special arrangements but surely it offers better efficiency than steam. In such plants you have two turbines, one is mercury operated and the other steam.. So keep thinking lets see where we end up. Its gonna be interesting
    - Regards( Amith)
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ishutopre
    Hmm OK it seems that I was a little wrong. Mercury was used as a coolant in nuclear reactors. Just found the book from where I had read the fact. Regarding Ammonia, let me some time for a search on net and good sources. 😀
    Ishan,
    You made me too curious. So I spent some time on this.
    You are right about a combi Steam-Mercury Turbine. 👍

Quote:
    Historical example The Electrical Year Book, 1937Mercury Vapour Turbine Cite Note 0, contained the following description of a mercury vapour turbine operating in commercial use:
    The advantage of operating a mercury-vapour turbine in conjunction with a steam power plant lies in the fact that the complete cycle can be worked over a very wide range of temperature without employing any abnormal pressure. The exhaust from the mercury turbine is used to raise steam for the steam turbine. The Hartford Electric Light Co. (U.S.A.) has a 10,000kW turbo-generator driven by mercury vapour, which reaches the turbine at 70 lb. per sq. in. (gauge), 880°F. The mercury vapour is condensed at 445°F and raises 129,000 lb. steam per hr. at 280 lb. per sq. in. pressure. The latter is superheated to 735°F and passed to the steam turbines. During 4 months continuous operation, this plant averaged about 0.715 lb. of coal per kWh of net output, about 43% of the output being from the mercury turbine generator and 57% from the steam plant. On maintained full-load the heat output averages 9800 B.Th.U. per net kWh. It is believed that maintenance costs will be lower than in ordinary steam plant. The back-pressure on the mercury turbine is fixed by the steam boiler pressure; only a small vacuum pump is needed, as there is no air or other gas in the mercury system.
    (The mercury cycle offers an efficiency increase compared to a steam-only cycle because energy can be injected into the Rankine Cycle at higher temperature. Metallurgical developments have allowed steam-only plants to increase in efficiency over time, making the mercury vapour turbine obsolete.)
    Mercury Vapour Turbine

EndQuote

The environment people are looking into even minute Mercury in CFL lamps. It is a strict no-no for turbines.

Thanks for bringing this up One lives and learn something new all the time.
    (It is curious that this technology is two years older to me.)

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Sir,
    Today while studying, I got to know about Binary cycle. It employs mercury as a secondary working fluid. I will write about it soon.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Those typically use butane or other hydrocarbon based low boiling point fluids. Mercury indeed is a no go anymore.
    ishutopre
    Sir,
    Today while studying, I got to know about Binary cycle. It employs mercury as a secondary working fluid. I will write about it soon.
  • TejaNaidu
    TejaNaidu
    It is a good thought but ammonia is hazaradous to envirorment.it is also precious then water.mainely it is difficult to maintain the boiler pressure because it is quickely evaporated
  • DaS Energy
    DaS Energy
    Hello Amuth,

To add to your woes is Ammonia is highly corrosive and only special metals can be used with it. We ourselves began with Ammonia in a new turbine layout before moving to CO2. Co2 remains liquid to 32*C and 74 bar pressure, argument surrounds the exact pressure of CO2 at 100* Celsius, but by ruler to scale its 10,000 bar.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone plz explain me how solar glasses work. I was in a recent industrial training to saint gobain, got really interested into finding that ..
Though its a very simple one,but needs your sharp attention. See if you can figure out what these seven words all have in common? 1. Banana 2. Dresser 3. Grammar...
Hello guys i am paritosh ahuja doing B.tech(ECE), now into final semester besides being and ECE'n i also have interest towards programming languages, i recently completed my JAVA course and...
Has anyone noticed new Google Music Search for Bollywood music on google.co.in It contains latest Hindi songs Repository. 😀
Hi all. I'm Dan (Chemistry background, materials engineering postgrad)from East Africa. I have already read some fantastic posts in the forums and I hope to be a part of this...