Use of AI in Software Automation

In software testing, test automation is the term used for the piece of code that automatically (without human intervention) control the execution of tests and the comparison of actual outcomes to predicted outcomes.

Over a period of time Software Automation has evloved and the latest trend is Behavioral driven Testing frameworks. In this a user just need to write the test cases in talking language, no hard core coder is required.

Still wherever human intelligence is required automation doesn't prove its worth and we end up saying automation can not do all the things human can do. This is only thing I still miss in automation.

AI in Automation

If we have any Software automation expert of folks working on automation, what are your view is it possible to have automation with AI?

If Yes, how?
Can we make a team and make it happen??

-CB

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting discussion. Current generation of smart computers are just as smart as a drunken monkey. I think it will be a really long time before the AI evolves to a state where it will enable the algorithms to decide whether the observed outcome is the desired one. Even IBM's watson can't think of anything on its own and needs to search its own data repository as programmed.

Programs like QTP that run are just enough 'intelligent' to execute the programs. But that's all about it. I think we'll have to wait at least 10 years before AI reaches to significant levels.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I am not quiet an expert in testing, but I do have some experience on automation.
    I think, Automation tools do not use AI, they perform the same tests again and again.

One instance of AI using would be auto-creation of test cases and then auto executing them.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Programs like QTP that run are just enough 'intelligent' to execute the programs. But that's all about it. I think we'll have to wait at least 10 years before AI reaches to significant levels.
    Do you think any magic will happen after 10 years and it will start happening all of a sudden. People like you and me will discuss the crazy ideas, do's - don's, success - failure's over this idea and that only will make it happen.

I have created this thread from the very that perspective, that we will come up with the ideas and probably can form a team that can start working on this?

It may Sound absolutely weirdo, but I am sure we can make it happen one day.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've been closely observing the developments in the computing space in the last 10 years and looking at the pace, I think there will be even more advancement in the next 10 years. So yes, I think in the next 10 years AI will be significantly advanced than what it is now.

I think the most effective automation would come when the system will automatically determine if the output is as expected or differs. Even more important step could be figuring out all the possible ways to break the software - something only humans can do at this time. I've absolutely no clue how that will happen.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

​Japanese startup Fotofig has a novel service to offer- print your loved ones' mini-figurines, so that you never feel the intensity of the distance that separates you. Aha! Presently, making...
Since the launch of Android 4.3, users of other brand smartphones e.g. HTC, Samsung, Sony were eagerly waiting for the update to be made available for their devices. The wait...
Hey all, I am going to discuss one of the most asked interview questions on Oracle SQl and a basic one which many freshers are unaware of. The question is:...
I would like to ask if anyone is familiar with the experimental procedures required to arrive at the stress strain relationships and damage parameters to be used in concrete damaged...
The first two seasons aired on BBC were outstanding and if anyone's not seen them, I'd highly recommend watching all the 6 episodes from season I and II. After the...