USB Type C Connector : 10 Gbps, Slimmer & Reversible

USB 3.0 promoter group specifications for next generation of USB (3.1) have been released and it looks like it's going to be a lot more advanced than the current generation of USB connectors. The new connector, called Type-C connector is being targeted at the slimmer generation of mobiles and tablets. The key characteristics of the USB Type C Connector are -
  • A brand new design, that may not resemble the current design of USB, Mini-USB and Micro-USB (Type-A, Type-B or Micro-B etc.)
  • Smaller in size - to that of USB 2.0 Micro-B
  • Reversible: You don't have to pay attention to the orientation of the plug.
  • Support for scalable power charging
  • Easy scaling for future USB performance.
The specifications are expected to be available to the industry leaders for review in Q1 of 2014. Can't wait to see how the new connector will look like. In the mean time, Apple & Intel have already standardised the Thunderbolt 2 design that offers 20 Gbps. By the time the new USB connector makes it way, I'm sure Apple and Intel will do 40 or 50 Gbps?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Persistent Venture Fund, an initiative by Pune based Persistent Systems Limited will fund promising startups in Social, Mobile, Analytics and Cloud Computing domain. The target for the fund will be...
Hi guy's, Does someone know something about this standard ? I'm trying to find out about an Azerbaijan standard who refers to snow load Thank's
The makers of Any.do - one of the most popular To Do apps have just announced the availability of 'Cal' app for download on Android platform. A lot of people...
Finally, Valve has joined Linux Foundation.2014 will be the exciting year for Linux users. Hardcore game are coming. Infact, I feel Half-Life 3 is coming the sametime when SteamOS is...
Steven Vaughan Nicholas share this in G+ Funny but true 😛 Best use of Mac, I guess.