Usage of Slangs in posts

Unfortunately, we see lots of slangs in the posts of late. This is not restricted to this site alone but in general.

Instead of using "u," we should type "you."

I agree that instant messaging abbreviations have no place in writing. However, there are instances where slang can be used in dialogue. In order for dialogue to appear natural, the writer should write as he would actually speak. I don't use chatspeak or messaging abbreviations in my writing. I don't even make a habit of using it in my replies to other people's work, but it is used so commonly that people sometimes forget this is not proper for writing.

'yeah' is not used in dialogue because it is so common in speech.

Slang cannot be a substitutes for normal or proper language, but most people can understand the context more often than not. Slang can also filter into normal everyday conversations. I think it's mostly used by teenagers to have a cute way of writing to each other and in that sense, it's fine. Let us limit our usage to conversations when you are sure that it is understood the way it is supposed to be and not to posts. This is just my personal opinion and evey one is free to say what they feel.

Replies

• aashima
    aashima
    well

AlameluKrishnan
    Unfortunately, we see lots of slangs in the posts of late. This is not restricted to this site alone but in general.

Instead of using "u," we should type "you."

I agree that instant messaging abbreviations have no place in writing. However, there are instances where slang can be used in dialogue. In order for dialogue to appear natural, the writer should write as he would actually speak. I don't use chatspeak or messaging abbreviations in my writing. I don't even make a habit of using it in my replies to other people's work, but it is used so commonly that people sometimes forget this is not proper for writing.

'yeah' is not used in dialogue because it is so common in speech.

Slang cannot be a substitutes for normal or proper language, but most people can understand the context more often than not. Slang can also filter into normal everyday conversations. I think it's mostly used by teenagers to have a cute way of writing to each other and in that sense, it's fine. Let us limit our usage to conversations when you are sure that it is understood the way it is supposed to be and not to posts. This is just my personal opinion and evey one is free to say what they feel.
    well i would see to it next time i write somthing in CE forums... i didn't know that was a point to be considered as well.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Agree!

Thanks a ton Alamelu, for bringing this up.

Let us limit the sms slang to short messages on mobiles only. I am sure that all CEans will agree to it. Let us respect the language and try to avoid unnecessary shorts for words.

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    My support to banning of slang in posts! I believe that it will give us a professional look and help us grow. It will also attract more members to CE.
  • virunew
    virunew
    This is why CEs don't like Slang

More than giving a professional look, i think :

1. Slang language is mostly the hallmark of people who have not really matured in their thinking .
    2. People ( mostly teen) who seek acceptance from a group use the slang to feel as one of them.

Crazy Engineers are none of the above, they have their own , matured way of thinking ๐Ÿ˜€

-Veeru Engineer
  • aashima
    aashima
    virunew

1. Slang language is mostly the hallmark of people who have not really matured in their thinking .
    2. People ( mostly teen) who seek acceptance from a group use the slang to feel as one of them.

Crazy Engineers are none of the above, they have their own , matured way of thinking ๐Ÿ˜€

-Veeru Engineer
    hey this gave CEans such a good and professional definition!!! good one
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    true!

virunew

-Veeru Engineer
    Amazing!

I believe that it is bit difficult to read the slang. But one of the major reasons why people use slang is that its not everyone's cup of tea to use the keyboard with ease.

Following *might* be useful -
    #-Link-Snipped-#

-The Big K-
  • rick
    rick
    virunew

-Veeru Engineer
    I suggest that this should be a part of CE Common Sense Guide. You are right Virunew. Thanks for the post.

Rick
  • crook
    crook
    rick
    I suggest that this should be a part of CE Common Sense Guide. You are right Virunew. Thanks for the post.

Rick
    I agree ๐Ÿ˜‰

We must make it mandatory for the new members to go through the newbie guide.

Moreover, new members should learn from Pradypop, biggie, Integratdbrains and me :sshhh: . We don't use slang and the irritating dots ( .... ) in our posts.

Thank You.

crook
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crook
    I agree ๐Ÿ˜‰

We must make it mandatory for the new members to go through the newbie guide.

Moreover, new members should learn from Pradypop, biggie, Integratdbrains and me :sshhh: . We don't use slang and the irritating dots ( .... ) in our posts.

Thank You.

crook
    ๐Ÿ˜ thank you, crook!

Alamelu's point is well noted and it will be a part of our next version of Newbie Guide. I agree that the unnecessary dots are frequently used to give it a feel of 'free talk'.

We will include your suggestion in the newbie guide.

-The Big K-

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans! Probably we are the first one to report this- I just found out that www.netscape.com has been hacked ! Try visiting the site and you will know. -The...
hii everybody! can nybody plz tell me how can i improve my communication skills? ny website ??
Hello CEans ! The active CEans took an initiative to start a blog : CE-Blog ! Let me restrict this post & take you directly to the blog ๐Ÿ˜ ->...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi CEans is the following branches are suitable for girls who r going to join in engineering 1.Textile engineering 2.food processing engineering 3.Mechanical and marine engineering 4.Mining engineering
Basically, I've routed to this forum, follwing some blog entries of BIG_K. I work as a developer with Accenture & soon will be joining R&D Labs. Don't find much leisure...