US identifies China as security threat, seeks India partnership

WASHINGTON: The United States is investing in long-term strategic partnership with India, the Pentagon said on Thursday in a new defence strategic document which puts Asia on a bigger priority and identifies China as a security threat.

"The United States is investing in a long-term strategic partnership with India to support its ability to serve as a regional economic anchor and provider of security in the broader Indian Ocean region," said the document unveiled by President Barack Obama in his rare appearance at the Pentagon.

The document titled 'Sustaining US Global Leadership: Priorities for 21st Century Defense' identified China as one country which poses a security threat to the US in long term.

"Over the long-term, China's emergence as a regional power will have the potential to affect the US economy and our security in a variety of ways," said the eight-page document.

"Our two countries have a strong stake in peace and stability in East Asia and an interest in building a cooperative bilateral relationship. However, the growth of China's military power must be accompanied by greater clarity of its strategic intentions in order to avoid causing friction in the region," the document said.

The new strategy also replaces the decade-old policy of maintaining a force capable of fighting two wars at once.

"Even when US forces are committed to a large-scale operation in one region, they will be capable of denying the objectives of - or imposing unacceptable costs on - an opportunistic aggressor in a second region," it said.

The document made clear that while some current military missions will be curtailed, none will be scrapped entirely.

"Wholesale divestment of the capability to conduct any mission would be unwise, based on historical and projected uses of US military forces and our inability to predict the future," the document said.

AP adds: President Barack Obama insists the United States will maintain what he calls the best-equipped military in US history despite deep and looming defense budget cuts.

In a rare appearance in the Pentagon briefing room, Obama offered the outlines of an overhauled defense strategy. It is designed to contend with hundreds of billions of dollars in budget cuts and refocus the United States' national security priorities after a decade dominated by the post-Sept 11 wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Obama says the military will be leaner but promises the world that the US will maintain its 'military superiority" with fighting forces ready for any threat.

The president says the strategy review centered on the military the country needs after the "long wars of the last decade are over."

Replies

• ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    Seems like US getting ready for a War! There are also predictions(on internet) like that.

A Suggestion: When you copy text from some other web, please post script the link below ๐Ÿ˜‰.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, avoid copy-pasting stuff. It doesn't look good.
    Wondering why US thinks China is enemy. Wonder why India's being pulled in. Why don't US, India, China and all countries unite for the existence of humans on the Earth? ๐Ÿ˜–
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    The_Big_K
    Yeah, avoid copy-pasting stuff. It doesn't look good.
    Wondering why US thinks China is enemy. Wonder why India's being pulled in. Why don't US, India, China and all countries unite for the existence of humans on the Earth? ๐Ÿ˜–
    I wont say stop copy-pasting, i say 'Yes' to it. It is very necessary to gain information. But i suggest to post script a link of the source webpage.

@ The_Big_K : 'US' should start that. They are the ones involved in most of the wars around the World. I believe they dont change their thinking. They use ' Shakuni ' Tantras. They were about to attack India once(in 1971) - (I remembered this), but India's Best Friend Russia(USSR) came for the help, and US ran away with their Nuclear Submarines - That's an interesting story that happened .
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Yeah sorry. Forgot to add the source!!! ๐Ÿ˜” Will make sure I quote it... The article looked interesting so, I did this... Anything wrong or better suggestions, if any?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

any body 've an idea of measuring fluid flow through an orifice plate (wit multiple holes)...? and can we do it wit multiple stages(orific plates arranged more than one)....?actually where...
I just found a company that designs totally awesome office spaces. See: https://i29.nl/projects/slideshow-of-projects/2 What say you? We're going to be in one of the world's coolest office soon ๐Ÿ˜
using four ones what is the maximum number can be obtained(can use any arithmetic operators)
Taksh is the techno cultural and entrepreneurship weekend, an initiative conceived guided and successfully launched by the IIT Rajasthan family. In its second year the endeavors revolve around a binary...
Introduction to Water & Waste Water Engineering was Explained by Prof C.Venkobachar, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras. Feel free to ask your questions and please contribute your ideas here...