Upgrade To Firefox 4.0 On uBuntu Instructions

It might be silly, but I'm not able to figure out how to upgrade Firefox to latest stable 4.0. I've searched the Internet but can't find proper instructions on how to do the upgrade, without losing on the bookmarks, history and settings.

All I know is that I can simply extract the browser somewhere on /home and then create a launcher for it. Does anyone have instructions for the upgrade?

Replies

• slashfear
    slashfear
    Hi Biggie,

I guess you can export the bookmarks for keeping the bookmarks inplace the way to do it is simple:

-> Goto bookmarks
    -> choose organize bookmarks
    -> choose import and back up
    -> Choose export HTML

Done!!
    Now you can import this bookmark to the new firefox you have installed. And for the settingsyou can copy the preference from this location:
    NOTE: The location will vary......

-> open terminal
    ->Type cd .mozilla
    -> Then cd firefox
    ->
    Then cd random characters
    (
    For me it is like this 8a17ry7j.default )
    ->
    Then copy prefs.js file to some location say Desktop (you can use cp prefs.js $HOME/Desktop $HOME is a global variable which contains the location of home directory, I guess you know it😀 )

Done your settings are now copied all you have to do is now install the new version of firefox and import the bookmarks and copy the prefs.js to the same new location of firefox it will ask you to replace just replace it and you will have your old settings imported

I dont know how to preserve your history 😔 (I really wonder why you wnat the history?)

Hope this helps!! 😉

-Arvind

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I came across this excellent article and I want each one of you to read it. It SHOULD be an eye opener for those who aren't aware. I look forward...
It was very stupid of me for not thinking before doing this. I put a Blackberry Curve Mini CD in my MacBook drive. And it got stuck there. It was...
I was trying to figure out the pathetic browsing speeds I experience on my broadband connection and found out that I'm on NIB-I network. My IP address starts with 59.xx...
India has always been a dumping ground for technology and products for Apple. The company today announced that iPad 2 will be relased in 25 more countries across the globe...
We of course can't influence Mr. Premji's decision, but we can vent out our jealousy by posting in this thread. Wipro has offered new revised package of Rs. 10 crore...