Untold About Vista

Windows Vista, the only operating system by Microsoft that caught too much criticism in market as no other software by Microsoft had ever met. When asked why, someone says it was harsh on resources, someone says may be due to its incompatibility to support software and someone says there were some performance issues. I am using Windows Vista since I bought my first PC and after using it for more then 3 years I don’t really feel above reasons are true for which it got criticism. So far as I can think Windows Vista was one of the most advanced OS ever built by Microsoft. Let me explain how, while making any software or service three things has to be maintained properly. Those things are Functionality, Security and Ease Of Use. The above characteristic features for a software or a service is denoted by a triangle known as SFE Triangle (Security, Functionality and Ease of Use Triangle). If you’ll have a careful look on this triangle you’ll find three things:

#-Link-Snipped-#

1. If we increase Security Ease of use and Functionality decreases

2. If we increase Functionality Ease of use and Security decreases

3. If we increase Ease of use then Security and Functionality decreases

Quality of software when denoted in triangle form is denoted by a point inside SFE triangle. So it is quite acceptable that if software has cleared all three criteria the point will be in center of triangle, a little difference don’t make that great difference. In case of Vista the SFE point moved little more towards security and functionality decreasing ease of use but Microsoft has also made provisions to bring it back to the center about which no one had been ever told.

As stated earlier in Vista the SFE point shifted towards security it became the only OS by Microsoft which remained un-crackable and un-hackable for more than 6 months. This part of Vista became so frustrating to Computer Mafia that after 8 months of its release they declared the hacker who will break security of Vista will be given 10 million dollars cash prize. Four months later its OEM seal flaw was used to make a pirated copy of Vista legal, this is story behind how Vista genuine seal got cracked. As compared to Windows XP Microsoft ported Vista with several dozens of features and services the only mistake they did they kept most of them pre-activated by default though many people would have never used those features. Many people blamed Microsoft for modifying  copying code in Vista which lead to slow data access rate while accessing or moving data, I don’t doubt about code had been modified but the slow data access rate was not its result. The slow access rate was result of Remote Differential Compression Algorithm which was developed for synchronizing data with remote source using compression technique to minimize amount of data that will be sent over network. It was available as a feature which can be disabled after which accessing and copying speed will have equaled speed of Windows XP. Vista was so customizable as compared to its previous versions and if customized properly it would have not taken that much resources as it took by default settings.

What were the real drawbacks of Vista:

The famous memory module management problem that existed in Windows from years was also present in Vista. Compatibility to some older software was provided but they never worked as expected. Some USB drive have problems because of which many times Vista was unable to detect your devices the solution to which was just re-installing the driver program and plug device again 5-6 minutes later after restart. Last thing that Vista missed was “One Click Power Optimize” feature for normal user which would have cut down the tension of manual customization. One another thing which lead to criticism was the lie that Microsoft declared about Vista can perform on 1.7 GHz CPU with 512MB of RAM. So far as I can think this lie lead to discomfort and distrust among professionals was only reason why it got criticism else just think even XP had many drawbacks but no one ever complained. Professional front was really angry on Microsoft for this lie due to which they faced problems like customers downgrading class C + class B level PCs to Windows XP because the minimum configuration which was shipped failed to perform as promised. Hence later on Microsoft accepted its mistake and declared Vista needs minimum 2.0 GHz CPU with 1GM RAM.

Believe me; Vista can also perform like Windows XP but needs some manual configuration which was supposed to be shipped as default but wasn’t. My intention with this article was to inform those people who still think Vista is not able to perform and are still using XP even after purchasing Vista and haven’t yet planned to buy Windows 7 that give it one more chance because Vista is one of those master piece that was designed to provide the powerful OS as a service to you.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Very well written, Nrupen 😀 Looking forward to more such articles!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

From a long time I am hearing boom buzz about a new hacking technique known as “Evil Maid” or “Cleaning Maid”. The attack is performed against Full Disk Encryption (FDE)...
These days everyone seems to be talking about trends, analysis and doing business the intelligent way so what this business intelligence is all about? Is it common sense. business acumen ...
Google Nexus One phone was released in January 2010 and it was a runaway hit. The phone had pure Android installed on it. The phone is expected to be available...
Architecture is one field where innovations are made absolutely necessary almost every progressing day. This article will introduce you to one such architectural innovation. World Expo 2010 Shanghai Expo of...
When Motorola invented the first ever cell phone, they'd not have known that the device will be an integral part of every human on the planet. The company has launched...