Unlocking USB Access

Hi friends,,,,,๐Ÿ˜

In my computer at home,,,USB access has been disabled.......so friends please help me in the ways in which i can enable my USB,,,,,,, ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•

[Actually at home there are 7-8 computers being connected together,,,ie..,,my fathers office computers along with my computer so i want to enable my USB access]

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    vishnu priya
    Hi friends,,,,,๐Ÿ˜

In my computer at home,,,USB access has been disabled.......so friends please help me in the ways in which i can enable my USB,,,,,,, ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•
    Impossible. You call it as your computer? :shock: Are you sure you are asking for your home computer or your workplace or college computers? As far as I know they are disabled by Admin through BIOS settings. You can enable USB access from there I guess. Have you changed any such settings in your system?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    IF you are saying its home computer then if you are logging as an Administrator then Go to Device Manager you can find Ports section there and you can enable your devices.
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    usually in companies the USB devices are blocked through registy editor.
    need to change some values in registry and USB device will work, if USB drivers are installed, if not, you need admin rights to install its drivers.

To open the Registry Editor click on the Start button on your taskbar, then click on Run and type "regedit" and click on OK to start the regedit utility.
    expand to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

there will be a key start valued 3
    change value to 4.
    if there isnt USBSTOR tag, drivers for USB are not installed, and you need admin rights to install USB drivers USBSTOR.SYS, USBINFO.SYS, etc etc.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    manusaluja
    usually in companies the USB devices are blocked through registy editor.
    need to change some values in registry and USB device will work, if USB drivers are installed, if not, you need admin rights to install its drivers.

To open the Registry Editor click on the Start button on your taskbar, then click on Run and type "regedit" and click on OK to start the regedit utility.
    expand to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

there will be a key start valued 3
    change value to 4.
    if there isnt USBSTOR tag, drivers for USB are not installed, and you need admin rights to install USB drivers USBSTOR.SYS, USBINFO.SYS, etc etc.
    Hey I want to ask if some computer has already the value set to 3 but allows usb access why is it so..

can it allow access with 3 also
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    sarveshgupta
    Hey I want to ask if some computer has already the value set to 3 but allows usb access why is it so..

can it allow access with 3 also
    3 is the value which allows USB access, any non-3 value 1,2,4,0, etc will block the USB access. Just try changing value on your system, restart the system, and plug in USB Drive. It wont be available afterwards.

Any window computer initially will have Value as 3 only for that registry key..
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    There are also certain companies that only allow their usb's how does this happen. I noted some softwares with an autorun when i put a legal USB in my ubuntu comp is this what they do.
  • moniza
    moniza
    simple n best tip for dis is
    reinstall ur window.
    install new window dnt repair.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    moniza
    simple n best tip for dis is
    reinstall ur window.
    install new window dnt repair.

What an Idea, Amazing !!! where were you till now :evil::evil:

@ manu - Other then this also there are a few registries by which we can disable the USB access.

@ Shalini - Admin generally set the group policy to change the registry settings fr USB access

I can ensure you buddy... On home computers without changing the registry it can not disabled. However it is POSSIBLE that it got corrupt; so in that case you need to re-install it.

-CB
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Yeah here's a solution mate

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor
    4. In the right pane, double-click Start.
    5. In the Value data box, type 3, click Hexadecimal (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.

To disable the access to USB port again, in windows XP and 2000, follow the steps below
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor
    4. In the right pane, double-click Start.
    5. In the Value data box, type 4, click Hexadecimal (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.

That's it...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mozilla has teamed with Infectious, a startup that lets users easily customize iPhones, laptops and even cars with high quality stickers of commissioned artwork. From time to time Infectious works...
I'm a 5th sem mca student.We have to present a seminar for 30 mins as a part of our curriculum.Can u plz send me some topics regarding latest technologies in...
i am BE IT student... can u sugggest me with the topics for the asp.net projects.... plzz do the needful....
Pre-Launch Images of the Space Shuttle Endeavour Early this morning, NASA scrubbed the launch of the space shuttle Endeavour (STS-127). For the second time in less than a week, the...
I am planning to earn an advanced Online Degree. My problem is I am doing job also, due to which i can't attend regular classes. Will it really be beneficial?...