Unleashing A Magnetic Tornado For Superconductivity

An international research team has discovered that a magnetic field can interact with the electrons in a superconductor in ways never before observed.

Andrea D. Bianchi, the lead researcher from the Université de Montréal, explains in the January 11 edition of Science magazine what he discovered in an exceptional compound of metals – a combination of cobalt, indium and a rare earth – that loses its resistance when cooled to just a couple of degrees above absolute zero.

“When subjected to intense magnetic fields, these materials produce a completely new type of magnetic tornado that grows stronger with increasing fields rather than weakening,” said Prof. Bianchi. “The beauty of this compound is how we can experiment without breaking it.”

Using the Swiss Spallation Neutron Source (SINQ), Prof. Bianchi and his team cooled a single-crystal sample of CeCoIn5 down to 50mK above absolute zero and applied a magnetic field nearly high enough to entirely suppress superconductivity. They found that the core of the vortices feature electronic spins that are partly aligned with the magnetic field. This is the first experimental evidence that a theory that describes the properties of superconducting vortices and, for which Abrikosov and Ginzburg received the Nobel Prize in 2003, which does not generally apply in magnetically-induced superconductors.

Superconductors hold great promise for technological applications that will change how modern civilization can store and transmit energy - arguably some of the most pressing challenges today. Other notable applications include superconducting digital filters for high-speed communications, more efficient and reliable generators and motors, and superconducting device applications in medical magnetic resonance imaging machines.

The first superconductor was discovered nearly a hundred years ago, and in most materials this curious state with no resistance was shown to arise from the interaction of the electrons with the crystal; however, in this new material, superconductivity is thought to arise from magnetic interactions between electrons.

“This discovery sharpens our understanding of what, literally, holds the world together and brings physicists one step closer to getting a grip on superconductivity at high temperatures. Until now, physicists were going around in circles, so this discovery will help to drive new understanding,” said Prof. Bianchi, who was recruited to UdeM as a Canada Research Chair in Novel Materials for Spintronics last fall and performed his experiments at the Paul Scherrer Institute in Switzerland, in collaboration with scientists from ETH Zurich, the University of Notre Dame, the University of Birmingham, U.K., the Los Alamos National Laboratory and the Brookhaven National Laboratory.

Replies

• skipper
    skipper
    Ok, they appear to have discovered or uncovered an interaction at a high magnetic field strength, that involves the gyromagnetic ratio of the electron/proton masses, when these are cooled to milliK temperatures. Since the flow or flux is still electric charge, the carriers must be something like the anyonic states in the FQHE, I bet this is connected to phase-precession in the AB effect too (where electrons interact with a shielded magnetic field when classically this is forbidden or impossible).

Spin in fermions is probably the hardest aspect of quantum mechanics to really get a grip on. It's the thing Bohr meant when he quipped about a theory being "not even wrong", and how as he claimed, thinking you understand it, or what exactly Planck's constant means, indicates you haven't understood it after all.

I'd say there are a few more surprises up ahead. After all we're just following the path we think we need to take, investigating these intrinsic properties of matter. We build enormous machines that fail at the last hurdle, perhaps because we don't really understand how to make them work like we want? Or, if we do, we're asking too much of what we think we know, and nature steps in to remind us how fickle she can be, or how misguided we can sometimes be when it comes to "being on the right path".

The LHC is a first for 'classical superconducting' magnets, and so far the tech hasn't lived up to design expectations. Shit happens when you push technology into corners where it might not fit that well; energizing supercooled metals with high intensity magnetic fields, at the scale of the LHC just might be the bridge to far.

But we'll at least learn that the classical approach is perhaps not the best after all, we may need to abandon the idea of building high-energy accelerators (actually, there's a buzz going around that says much the same thing about the LHC, it might be the last, and most expensive failure in particle physics, we'll have to see if the tech hurdles can be overcome).

And, after all, the failure wasn't predicted, the expectation was that the system would function. The breakdown exposes a lack of knowledge about how materials behave at very low temperatures and high magnetic strength.
    The physics community may have to face the prospect of abandoning or upgrading (time-consumingly and expensively) the facility with newer, more robust superconducting components at some stage, if the tech problem won't stay fixed - it might happen again, or at least, now they know there is another point of failure in the system.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    totally agreed with your points. 😀

well abt LHC, I heard rumors that they discovered a new particle but will only reveal it in a report after 2 years, IDK if it is true though.

well all I concluded from these experiments was that electrons are not as simple as we think.
    In some superconducting materials the pair of electrons tend to break at high magnetic stresses but in this case the pairs didn't break and this could be the key for making superconductors that work at high temperatures.

We just need to study and learn about this bonding and how the electrons tend to totally change their characteristics at low temperature and tend to make pair instead of getting repelled. This mystery when solved, I am sure we will have the means to produce the superconductors at commercial level.
  • skipper
    skipper
    My take on the buzz, is that the LHC will operate for 2-3 years collating data before there's a reliable set to analyze or sift through. The expectation is that interesting events will be announced during this run.

It's the most complex system ever built, they do everything very slowly and precisely; aiming beams of protons so they intersect at those distances is not a trivial task; it could be that initial successes will encounter further system failures that were unforeseen (apparently the magnets failing was an expected, but unwanted possibility). Everyone is waiting to see.

Also, as the news item you posted says, there are plenty of other researchers around. The team at Fermilab might find evidence for the Higgs before the LHC team does. The Higgs is "required" to close the QM theory or describe the "mass origin" process (explain where mass comes from, and possibly how the early universe got the force of gravity to play around with).
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    Yeah true
    and they can't really be sure on what kind of problems they might face as the technology they used in LHC didn't even existed when they started building it and therefore not much operational checks for long durations.

But even if they fail in their work, we are still gonna learn a lot of new stuff that we didn't expected and that's for what we do all these researches, always looking for something unexpected. 😀
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    ummm. Great let we wait and see what scientists going to do with it mate...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey CEans, Some of you know I went to a trek this Saturday up Mount Snowdon in Wales. Well I'm glad to report I was the first person to trek...
The company's share value ahs swooped down from 400$ billion to just 2 cents in one year. read more .. Internet Evolution - Paul Korzeniowski - Nortel's Saga: A Lesson...
😁 I am back with this pDF> I just skimmed through it and found 28 pages of book is quite infomrative. it doesnot give intor of many things but then,...
Discuss the small talk : Jonathan Boutelle - SlideShare Insights - CrazyEngineers in this thread! 😀
There are 1000 rooms (numbered from 1 to 1000) and 1000 persons (also numbered from 1 to 1000). Assume that all doors are closed at first. 1. First person will...