UNiX Quiz - Answer the Questions.

Answer the following UNIX Questions.

1. In Unix inter process communication takes place using?

2. The Very first process created by kernel is?

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    2. fork() or boot loader?

1.Shared memory or sockets?(A wild guess)
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    IPC takes place using sockets, semaphores, monitors, mutex etc. There are well defined functions like send() & receive() to send & receive messages in between processes.
    init process is created first by kernel having process id 1.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Right answers Vik 😀

3. What is an i-node number?

4. What is an UNIX Shell? How many shells UNIX OS have?
  • Reya
    Reya
    3.Each file name has a number added to it. In inode table it is easy for us to find out the size,file type,location,user id,time,access mode using this number associated with each file name.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Unix shell is a command interpreter which accepts commands from user and print the responses. It acts a means of communication between the user and the unix operating system.

This program(unix command interpreter is invoked when you start the unix terminal)

csh,ksh,bash,zsh are the shells which UNIX OS have.
  • TheV
    TheV
    5. What are the stages of a process?
    6. What is chmod ?
  • ankushm35
    ankushm35
    2: it's fork().
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    6. chmod is a command used to change the mode of a file.
    Ex - from reading mode to writing mode etc etc..
  • Maitham.k
    Maitham.k
    5- if you mean states of a process it can be: Running, Ready, Blocked, Suspended and Terminated.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Maitham.k
    5- if you mean states of a process it can be: Running, Ready, Blocked, Suspended and Terminated.
    Add Runnable... 😀

Regarding CHMOD, Sada is kind of correct, but it deals with the permissions...

When a file is writable and readable plus executable by world, it is 777, where,
    The first 7 for Owner
    Second 7 for Users
    Last 7 for Others...

The permissions come this way...
    111 in binary = 7
    So, it stands for
    Read, Write, Execute (RWX)

If a file is only Read, then the value will be 1 0 0 => 4 (R--)
    If only Write, then 0 1 0 => 2 (-W-)
    Only an executable? Simple! 1 (--X)

If a file is readable and writable, it would be 6 (RW-), and for most of the executions, it would 7 (RWX)

Am I too brief?
  • vinci
    vinci
    tell me more about linux .
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    @Vinci, be more specific. To know more about linux, there's always a Wikipedia entry for it. If you have a specific question, please do ask. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

[pop culture reference] Because Morgan Freeman said nobody responds to 'Help!' in Se7en. [/pop culture reference] Looking for a fourth year project. No source code. Suggestions, just. Mine got rejected...
Reading Comprehension aka RC seems to be one of the toughest sections in the revised GRE. We've received feedback from lot of CEans saying the RC is tougher than older...
[video=youtube;SWQTS8zqYXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWQTS8zqYXU&feature=player_embedded[/video] Message: Attention citizens of the world, We wish to get your attention, hoping you heed the warnings as follows: Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will...
Hi all I'm final year student major in networking, currently doing my final year project with the title related to the classified normal and abnormal mammogram by using matlab code....
Guys , Plz suggest me some innovative projects related to LABVIEW and/or MATLAB softwares ..... waiting for reply .....