Unity not working after installing fglrx on ubuntu 12.10!

I recently installed a new ubuntu 12.10 triple boot with windows 8 and windows 7 on my dell inspiron SE 7520. It seemed to be working fine until I used these commands to install fglrx amd drivers for ubuntu.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy
After reboot the unity launcher and the menus disappeared and just a blank screen with the wallpaper appeared. The screenshot of the image is attached. After that i installed the gnome shell onto it but that too seems to be working in the basic functionalities.
Can anyone help fix the graphics problem? So that the amd graphics are supported in ubuntu 12.10.
The specs of the laptop is as mentioned:
HDD: 1 TB
RAM: 8 gb
i7 quad core 2.1 Ghz
Graphics: 2gb switchable ati 7730m + 4gb intel 4000.blankscreen

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It's ATI drivers bug which still ain't fixed for quantal release. (You can find it in launchpad.net)

Open terminal & type
     sudo apt-get remove fglrx-*
    Now all driver files will be uninstalled & then reboot. The unity will start responding. (Opensource drivers will replace it)

PS: This bug is in highest priority atm, so it will be fixed soon. Wait for some weeks. Until then ignore adding fglrx ppas & installing the drivers.

Other problem can be Kernel headers.
    Uninstall ATI drivers - Update Kernel headers - Reboot - Reinstall ATI drivers.

But still I suggest not to install ATI drivers,let the devs fix the bug & install it once it's fixed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

is there any instrument made by which charging of cell phones can be done from distant place??i mean to say we switch on device at one place and charging gets...
Hello My Name is Asih Nugroho I was still study in univercity of tanjungpura (UNTAN) in West Borneo, take a Informatics Engineering I was take a part time job as...
give me the procedure to write the test cases for the integration and system testing along with examples.
Guys what is determinant method? Is that the stand method where we find the inverse of matrix by A^-1 = 1/|a| x adj(a) ? Or elementary transformations? AI = A...
hai..i need a technical paper presentation topic for symposium..can you suggest a good one..