Unable to understand the concept of fuzzy logic

hello..
well..m just unable to understand the actual concept of fuzzy logic..n its meaning..
to me it acts similar to boolean logic..
wht i had know abt it is..simply that accordin to this..concept..we can design a system..in which the controlling parameter is variable in accordance with the external disturbance or internal variations of the system..
could someone plz elaborate this concept..m really confused..😕

Replies

• tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Re: fuzzy logic..????

Here is one analogy. Think of boolean logic as statements about a 2D point and various circles. A point either is or is-not contained in the circle. You have to specify whether you count the perimeter of the circle as "in" the circle or not. Once you have done that, a point either is or is-not "in" the circle. Think of fuzzy logic as dealing with statements about how much circles overlap. Instead of statements about a "point", it deals with statements about a circle. A circle can overlap another circle so its covers 0%, 20%, 30% etc. of the other circle.

That is only a rough analogy. The specific implementation of fuzzy logic must obey certain mathematical laws. In practical applications, the engineer has a great freedom of choice about how he defines the "degree of membership". He doesn't not have to use the overlap of circles as his model. For example, if we want "the room is hot" to be a fuzzy input to a temperature control system, we must define how to convert some objective measurement (like degrees Farenheight) to a "degree of hotness". There are many mathematical functions of f(x) that are 0 when x is, say, 40 F and 1 when x is, say 102 F. The mathematical definitions of fuzzy logic do not tell the engineer how to invent such a function. So he has freedom of choice.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy

tashirosgt
    Here is one analogy. Think of boolean logic as statements about a 2D point and various circles. A point either is or is-not contained in the circle. You have to specify whether you count the perimeter of the circle as "in" the circle or not. Once you have done that, a point either is or is-not "in" the circle. Think of fuzzy logic as dealing with statements about how much circles overlap. Instead of statements about a "point", it deals with statements about a circle. A circle can overlap another circle so its covers 0%, 20%, 30% etc. of the other circle.

That is only a rough analogy. The specific implementation of fuzzy logic must obey certain mathematical laws. In practical applications, the engineer has a great freedom of choice about how he defines the "degree of membership". He doesn't not have to use the overlap of circles as his model. For example, if we want "the room is hot" to be a fuzzy input to a temperature control system, we must define how to convert some objective measurement (like degrees Farenheight) to a "degree of hotness". There are many mathematical functions of f(x) that are 0 when x is, say, 40 F and 1 when x is, say 102 F. The mathematical definitions of fuzzy logic do not tell the engineer how to invent such a function. So he has freedom of choice.
    k..i think i got..a bit about it..
    well i hv one more ques to ask..
    as we hv freedom of choice in fuzzy..if we implement or apply fuzzy logic to some system..then..the probablity of the system failure must be nil..??
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Fuzzy logic itself does not involve the theory of probability. For example, if we say "This neighborhood is somewhat expensive to live in", that statement might be implemented in fuzzy logic as: This neigborhood belongs to the set of expensive neighborhoods to the degree 0.8. That statement does NOT mean that the neighborbood has a 0.8 chance of being expensive to live in and a 0.2 chance of not being expensive to live in. It must be interpreted as a given "degree" of being expensive, not something that happens at random, jumping between expensive and inexpensive.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla

imnitsy
    k..i think i got..a bit about it..
    well i hv one more ques to ask..
    as we hv freedom of choice in fuzzy..if we implement or apply fuzzy logic to some system..then..the probablity of the system failure must be nil..??

Please donot use SMS language on CE!!

k = Ok , hv = have ques can be question!!

Dont use long trailing dots (....) on CE!!
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    ok
    thanx for telling such things.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    tashirosgt
    Fuzzy logic itself does not involve the theory of probability. For example, if we say "This neighborhood is somewhat expensive to live in", that statement might be implemented in fuzzy logic as: This neigborhood belongs to the set of expensive neighborhoods to the degree 0.8. That statement does NOT mean that the neighborbood has a 0.8 chance of being expensive to live in and a 0.2 chance of not being expensive to live in. It must be interpreted as a given "degree" of being expensive, not something that happens at random, jumping between expensive and inexpensive.
    could you please give one more example
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    The application of fuzzy logic is often an attempt to replace skilled human management with computer controls. For example, suppose there is a building and the building supervisor controls the air conditioning. He is is skilled at keeping the building comfortable. We interview him and ask about his methods. He makes such statements as "When it is not very humid and somewhat hot, I turn the fans on a little and set the thermostat only slightly low". "When it is very humid and very hot , I turn the fans on very high and set the thermostat very low".

It is the task of the control designer to translate words like "not very humid", "very humid", "hot" , "very hot", etc. into numerical quantities. These quantities can include the outputs of the controller ( such as "fans on high", "thermostat set slightly low"). These quantities do not represent probabilities.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    tashirosgt
    The application of fuzzy logic is often an attempt to replace skilled human management with computer controls. For example, suppose there is a building and the building supervisor controls the air conditioning. He is is skilled at keeping the building comfortable. We interview him and ask about his methods. He makes such statements as "When it is not very humid and somewhat hot, I turn the fans on a little and set the thermostat only slightly low". "When it is very humid and very hot , I turn the fans on very high and set the thermostat very low".

It is the task of the control designer to translate words like "not very humid", "very humid", "hot" , "very hot", etc. into numerical quantities. These quantities can include the outputs of the controller ( such as "fans on high", "thermostat set slightly low"). These quantities do not represent probabilities.
    does it means that we can operate the AC or we can maitain the comfortablity of building in any circumstances using fuzzy logic ??😒
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    As an empirical (not theoretical) matter, If a human being can control the AC so it works, it is reasonable to expect that a fuzzy logic control system can duplicate his methods.

Were you looking for a mathematical proof that a controller based on fuzzy logic will work under a given set of conditions? I think there are mathematical proofs for the stability of "Takagi-Sugeno" controllers under certain conditions.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    well i have something again to ask about the illustrations of fuzzy logic,

suppose an aircraft is designed in which the landing and take off operation is automatic, now can we implement fuzzy logic in these operations such that we take our parameters as,
    lenght of the run way,
    speed of the aircraft,
    direction of wind.

and according to these parameters we implement fuzzy logic to give the wings an angle so that the take off and landing operation is done successfully!!!

is it possible to implement fuzzy logic in above case, as the parameters chosen above will be diffrent for different places and different locations ?????

please suggest some tutorials for fuzzy logic.
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    In my opinion, it is not possible to implement automatic landing for a real aircraft with so few input parameters. Futhermore, you did not specify any outputs of the controller ( flaps down, rudder movement etc.).

In addition to the names of parameters, there must be a description of the opinions of a human expert about how he controls the task.

I studied fuzzy sets and fuzzy control from a book, so i don't know about online sources. If I happen find any good ones, I will post the links.

Your questions concern the topic of "fuzzy control". One would study "fuzzy sets" and "fuzzy logic" first, as a background to learning "fuzzy control".
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    ok thanks for helping a lot over the most confusing topic.
  • Nikhil Agrawal
    Nikhil Agrawal
    I am not able to understand what is the use of fuzzy logic . Have some practical applications of it?
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    Nikhil Agrawal
    I am not able to understand what is the use of fuzzy logic . Have some practical applications of it?
    refer above post!!

there are some illustrations!!!
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Search on the web for the keywords: fuzzy control tutorial. You will find things like this:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Predictor
    Predictor
    tashirosgt

Yes, but just to be clear (because such explanations are so often misunderstood): The items such as "hot", "very hot" etc. are not bins (or ranges)- they are fuzzy sets which have graded membership. This means that, as one moves up the temperature scale, there is not suddenly a jump from "hot" to "very hot". Rather, the fuzzy truth (a graded value ranging from 0.0 to 1.0) of "hot" decreases, as the fuzzy truth of "very hot" increases.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can we change the physical address ie MAC address assigned by manufacturer? is it possible?and what is the need to have MAC address?
FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder Size: 4.10MB FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DIVX movies, picture postprocessing, and show subtitles. ....... Click To Download
In Speech synthesis field, do you know how actually text is converted into speech.I want to do just first level .converting a character into speech. Will I have to do...
I'm working on my resume right now and it is the first time that I've been able to approach it with much more marketing background. Before, it was just an...
The newly launched iPad, the tablet offers much more than book reading as compared to the Kindle. No matter how many people have bought Kindle (Amazon says there are millions...