Unable to decide case study topic !

Hello CEan's I have the following topics for my case study of Operating Systems subject that I have to submit by next month's end.

e) Unix
f) Linux
g) OS/2
h) MAC OS
i) Symbian
j) Chrome
k) Android
Not at all interested in windows so didn't opt for it.I need help in deciding which topic should I choose.
My choices are ,however,

• linux
  • ubuntu
  • symbian
  • ios
  • unix
I'm not able to understand which topic should I opt for that would increase my knowledge or that would be fun working on and I have very little time for this.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    UNIX hands down. Look no further.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Linux because it's been maintained by Linus & other Kernel hackers on regular basis. And Now a days Linux > Unix because Linux is not just used in Operating Systems but also Embedded Systems.
    If you consider POSIX then Linux can be considered as clone of Unix.(However Linux is just a Kernel, hence Linux based OS is Linux Kernel+GNU system+GNU utilities - While Unix is an entire OS)

However, if you'll start to differentiate Linux & Unix, you'll find major differences in File-Systems,Sys-Admin tools, etc. There are few common things between Unix & Linux based OS are : GUI,Shells & Development tools.

In short, go for LINUX based OS rather than Unix based OS, because like I mentioned earlier there is constant development going on in Linux Kernel, and also famous Linux based OS : Ubuntu can be included in case-study of the topic. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Ok Got it now .

Also famous Linux based OS : Ubuntu can be included in case-study of the topic.
    Thanks !
    But what about Android ? Does it have any take ovr LINUX or UBUNTU.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    shailaja revathi
    Ok Got it now .
    But what about Android ? Does it have any take ovr LINUX or UBUNTU.
    Just for information : Android uses Fork Linux Kernel.
    So you can simply understand how awesome Linux is. Go for Linux ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Finally I can work on LINUX -decided at last with no kind of second thought.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Share your case-study with us in CE.
    And feel free to ask for query.

BTW, you know I am excited about your case-study on Linux, as if it's my case-study topic.
    Maybe because, Linux is what my emotions are involved with ๐Ÿ˜
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Share your case-study with us in CE.
    And feel free to ask for query.

BTW, you know I am excited about your case-study on Linux, as if it's my case-study topic.
    Maybe because, Linux is what my emotions are involved with ๐Ÿ˜
    Yes ofcourse, I will.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    I WANTED TO KNOW WHETHER LINUX HAS ANY PROGRAMMER INTERFACE AS IT IS ONE OF THE TOPICS THAT HAS TO COVERED IN MY CASE STUDY(LAST TOPIC) and googled for it on the net also but all i get is a confusing stuff mostly via e-books that I don't prefer downloading and looking at at all.No general review regarding this .hence confused whther it has really got any programmer interface .๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    You mean API ? Then yes, there is Linux Kernel API.
    Read more & confuse yourself : The Linux Kernel API
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Yeah it might be an API ...I don't know why it didn't strike me .....
    however ,what about the link below?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    It has got precise information that I think would be enough for 35 pages case study.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    shailaja revathi
    Yeah it might be an API ...I don't know why it didn't strike me .....
    however ,what about the link below?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    It has got precise information that I think would be enough for 35 pages case study.
    Are you trying to cover 'everything' about Linux Kernel ?
    It's gonna be one hella big case study, which will be tough if you're going to give presentation, because it will raise million other questions for your faculty, which will be enough to freak you out.
    If you have 'lot' of time then go on, else cover only major topics in short descriptions.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    That's what is troubling me since several days and don't worry I have covered only little topic which is mentioned below :
    history
    overview
    features
    different types of file systems,directories and file structures
    system calls
    process management
    interprocess communication
    Process sybchronization
    scheduling
    memory management
    data structures for process and memory management
    network structures
    security
    Program interface(if any).
    Any I have tried reducing this bulky case study from 230 pages to 50(font size=12).
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    My advice would be to cover only as much as you can get a good grasp on because you would be required to answer the questions related to the areas that you present. An evaluator is always interested in the depth of understanding rather than the breadth of it.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Actually we've been told to cover all those topics .And when I take a look at the info I find everything useful atleast for my knowledge and due to that it's difficult to reduce its lenth to a shorter case study having minimal 30-35 pages.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A miscellany of a dozen things to liven up summer or chilling it: https://www.instructables.com/id/10-Life-Hacks-You-Need-To-Know-For-a-Better-Summer/?ALLSTEPS
Electrical engineers at the United States Department Of Energy's National Accelerator Laboratory have put speed limits on the world's fastest electrical switch - the one that takes just a trillionth...
New Delhi railway station is set to become India's first ever railway station to offer free Wi-Fi service to the passengers. The station, arguably 'India's busiest' will offer this value...
Looks like PayPal India & RBI have finally resolved all the issues between them. All the PayPal users in India are receiving the following email (see below). The email highlights...
CEans, Texas Instruments Innovation Challenge 2013-2014 is open for all engineering students in India. The contest aims at promoting IC based system design among student community in India. This year's...