Ubuntu's Unity NEXT (Unity 8) Preview.

Ubuntu's currently working on the custom display server "Mir" which will be replacing Xserver which we have used it for long years. (bye bye xorg, Imma take backup of my xorg.conf & reminisce)

Unity 8 a.k.a Unity NEXT which is being recoded using QML, so the Ubuntu Touch & Ubuntu Desktop will have similar environment. However, I was against of this as I firmly believe that bridging gap between Smartphone's UI & Desktop UI is not good. I love different UI for both platform & not same.

Then I saw this video :

I used to curse Canonical when they removed Gnome 2.x & replaced it with Unity in 11.04. Until the release of 13.04 Raring Ringtail, it was bloat, no shit. But in Unity 7.x in 13.04 version, I noticed very smooth Unity Dash panel will very fast response and I have to apologise the Ubuntu developers.

As you can see in the video, unity 8 is uber sexxah! It defines the term "beautiful"
Unity 8 will be shipped in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, the same time when Canonical is planning to release their smartphones.

What's your views, CEans ?
Do you like the new UI of Unity 8 ?

(Sidenote : I know you all love Windows, but why not just for sake of 'change', dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Windows, and enjoy the awesome Linux distro, atleast for once ? )

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I am using Ubuntu 13.4, Virtual machine. It looks good and UI is definitely enhanced and responsive.
    Unity 8 looks more pretty and responsive even running as application👍.
    It looks like Unity 8 is designed as dynamic UI to adapt any screen resolution, that's great.

Edit--
    PS:
    BadA$$ Phone
    #-Link-Snipped-#

[​IMG]
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Holy cow! That's too damn sexy! I have reading about a lot of disputes about "Mir", but dude, it's doing wonders! Already in love with 14.04!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    It looks like Unity 8 is designed as dynamic UI to adapt any screen resolution, that's great.
    Yes, it's indeed awesome.
    Each & every gadget, Laptop,Netbook,Phablet,Tablet & Smartphones will get the support. Great move by Canonical.

Pensu
    I have reading about a lot of disputes about "Mir"
    Yeah, While Ubuntu developers have opted for custom display server "Mir", Gnome & KDE developers are still in dispute, whether to stay with Wayland, or move to Mir.
    This is directly affecting the KDE & Gnome based desktop environments.

However, Opensource x.org drivers are getting matured & Ubuntu have shifted to Mir, and there's no video driver's support in Mir display for any cards at this moment. This seems like starting from scratch.
    However, I feel that the development of drivers will begin from october 2013 & by 14.04 LTS release we'll have stable release.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :

Canonical just kept Mir 0.0.6 release for ubuntu.

If you're curious impatient like me, then download Ubuntu 13.04 & update the distro to 13.10 saucy salamander using :

sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
    Now, purge all the binary drivers of Nvidia or ATI (Obviously depends on your gfx cards)

TO install Mir :
     sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mir-team/system-compositor-testing
    sudo apt-get update 
    Now, edit /etc/apt/preferences.d/50-pin-mir.pref with :

Package: *
    Pin: origin "private-ppa.launchpad.net"
    Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
    Pin: release o=LP-PPA-mir-team-system-compositor-testing
    Pin-Priority: 1002 
    And then finally
     sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
    restart the light-dm & enjoy Mir.

Credit : A blog on Linux (I noted the steps early morning, but forgot to note the author : Apologies)

PS : I am doing it early morning tomorrow, anyone interested ?
    If yes, just post back here & we'll post some screenshots in CE.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    So, I have installed Mir server in 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Screenshot from 2013-07-10 08:21:46

It is very fast even in beta, but the bug is that it has two mouse cursors, which confuses me :

2013-07-10 08.23.55

I found it bit slow while interacting with applications though. Rest everything is like god-speed.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I tried installing on my virtual machine but seems it has 1Gb update and root doesn't have much space. I will wait for stable release😀

Btw, feeling 13.04 very smooth and surprisingly beautiful 👍
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ianoop
    I tried installing on my virtual machine but seems it has 1Gb update and root doesn't have much space. I will wait for stable release😀

Which VM are you using?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    VirtualBox.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    I had around 576 MB of update.
    BTW, You won't have to install Mir server for Saucy Salamander, it's gonna be default display server in 13.10 : However, we have to wait for9-10 more months for Unity 8.

ianoop
    No shit! 13.04 has very responsive Unity dash. But, 13.10 + Mir = Ultra fast.
    i simply hate the minor glitches & those two racist cursors 😛

By the way, Firefox 23.0 has polished icon for Mir DS. 👍
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I had around 576 MB of update.
    It was asking for more than 1gb free space to update. May be because I am on 13.04.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    It was asking for more than 1gb free space to update. May be because I am on 13.04.
    i updated from 13.04 to 13.10 only.
    13.04 to 13.10 ~ 576 MB
    Replacing Xserver with Mir server = 86 MB

The update size depends on the applications you have installed. If you have installed 40 applications, then all the application will be replaced with latest version which are available in saucy salamander repository.Hence size increases.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Unity 8 is now available for Ubuntu 13.10.
    Here's the source code : #-Link-Snipped-#

You have to launch Unity 8 from command line & two modes of Unity 8 i.e Mobile mode & Tablet mode will be shown.
    Canonical developers are focusing on Mobile domain atm, 14.10 will be shipped with Unity 8. Until then it will be shipped with Unity 7 with default atop XMir.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Upcoming boot process changes in Ubuntu. Check this video :
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Tested Unity8 Alpha in Saucy Salamander Beta daily build.
    Created 31 second video just to show how is it, for CE.

The UI is exceptionally fast & it can fit in any resolution (maybe it's main reason why Mir has been developed).
    I can't wait for stable version of Unity 8. I hope Unity 8 ships in Ubuntu 14.04

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

After Snowden's expose of how the United States government monitors the activity of people around the world, there was an uproar about protecting one's privacy. People later learned that India...
Wish you many many Happy Returns of the Day kidakaka Have a rocking year ahead. 😁 🎉 Party Time !!🎉
[updated 30/7/2013] Hi CEans, Since my short break from work is looming soon, I thought I'd just share some plans I have in mind. I hope throughout this process we...
I've been reading several reports that the Dropbox app running on iPhone, Android and even Mac has resulted into quick battery drain. It looks like the excessive CPU usage, which...
in general in India we have 50Hz frequency of power distribution is using and others 60Hzs,i was shocked when gone through the aircraft power distribution where it takes 400Hz of...