Ubuntu, very much user friendly.

As long as operating system is concerned, Ubuntu is hard to beat. Ubuntu just released its 14.04 LTS which it boasts that it will be supported for next 5 years.

Long Term Support (LTS) releases, such as Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 'Trusty Tahr', are not expected to present radical changes, as these should be made in the interim releases. Instead, an LTS release should add stability and polish to interim changes. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS was suggested almost three years ago by Mark Shuttleworth as the release that would see convergence across all hardware formats. In retrospect, this goal could only have been reached if the elements required for convergence โ€” Mir and Unity 8 โ€” had been successfully introduced in earlier releases. Although Canonical made some effort to do this, development was eventually refocused on Ubuntu for phones and tablets and convergence is now unlikely to happen until 2015. As it stands, Ubuntu 14.04 is left running X window server and the Unity 7 shell.

ubuntu-1404-desktop-2-620x388

Well there are no new changes but it is a strong operating system. The new changes in its user interface are not bad. This is an must go with operating system.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Please avoid copying posts from other website and pass them on as your own. It's always recommended that you write using your own words or simply provide a link to the content you think is worth sharing.

Above post seems to be taken from: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Onkar Mavle
    Onkar Mavle
    Sure.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It surely is user Noob friendly. But, somehow it always fails to deliver me the experience like what #-Link-Snipped-# with KDE is capable of. Arch is undoubtedly 1337 distribution.
    But, this again is a personal notion.

#-Link-Snipped-# Do you use Ubuntu ? Or any other Linux based distro ?
  • Onkar Mavle
    Onkar Mavle
    Abhishek Rawal
    It surely is user Noob friendly. But, somehow it always fails to deliver me the experience like what #-Link-Snipped-# with KDE is capable of. Arch is undoubtedly 1337 distribution.

I totally agree with you that Ubuntu looks complex to new users but after using it for some time it becomes understandable.

And yes i use Ubuntu.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm a Linux user too; but use it on the server side. CE runs in UNIX environment. Just a few days ago, I tried setting up a complete LAMP environment on DigitalOcean (thanks to the $10 credit they offered on Twitter). To my surprised, uBuntu commands are different from CentOS ones and I got totally lost in 'yum' installs. Anyway!

My only complaint since last several centuries is the same: Why the heck do most of the Unix distributions stick to command prompts for installs? It's like writing machine code in 0s and 1s or using Punch Cards.

I'm now convinced that you can become familiar with any damn OS provided you spend enough time with it. There's no such thing as 'very user friendly' thing.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Onkar Mavle
    I totally agree with you that Ubuntu looks complex to new users but after using it for some time it becomes understandable.
    I never said that Ubuntu is 'complex'. It never was & never will be. It's among the few distributions which I usually prefer to anyone who wanna ditch Windows/OS X & switch to Linux.

Kaustubh Katdare
    My only complaint since last several centuries is the same: Why the heck do most of the Unix distributions stick to command prompts for installs? It's like writing machine code in 0s and 1s or using Punch Cards.
    You're talking about installation of distribution using CLI (like ArchLinux) or you meant installation of packages from Konsole/Terminal ? If latter is the case, I believe once you get used to it, it increases your efficiency & saves lots of time.

Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm now convinced that you can become familiar with any damn OS provided you spend enough time with it. There's no such thing as 'very user friendly' thing.
    'User friendly' thingy is indeed a 'Myth' . 'User-friendly' is just a big word thrown around by small people who find it easier to use OS they've been given or their hardware is shipped with, than exploring other. XYZ is more user-friendly is just an opinion, not fact.

I have always said that, give a kid Linux distro to use, he/she will get used to it in short period of time, so it will be more user-friendly than other OS. If he/she will use OS X or Windows, he/she gonna find it not-so-user-friendly unlike Linux.

BTW which one did you like more ? Ubuntu or CentOS ?
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Last week i install Ubuntu 14.04, and graphic was very slow. After googling i found out no intel Graphics Driver for new version of Ubuntu 14.04.
    So i reverted back to 12.04, was really disappointed.๐Ÿ˜”
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    micheal john
    Last week i install Ubuntu 14.04, and graphic was very slow. After googling i found out no intel Graphics Driver for new version of Ubuntu 14.04.
    So i reverted back to 12.04, was really disappointed.๐Ÿ˜”
    You don't need to install Intel GFX drivers. It comes pre-installed. Infact, the intel gfx stack in 14.04 LTS which uses Mesa 10.1 is lot better than what you'll find in 12.04

BTW there is slow focus switching bug : #-Link-Snipped-#
    You should try turning off the animations from CCSM.

This could be my personal belief, but I think in Linux when you're suffering from some kind of error, rather than removing distro & using other one, it is better ask in forum & take guidance and understand what is the reason behind such behaviour. So, next time you can fix up yourself.
    Switching distro is not the solution ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Onkar Mavle
    Onkar Mavle
    Abhishek Rawal

I have no experience on ArchLinux, so read about it a bit and it said: "ArchLinux is popular with intermediate and advanced Linux users who aren't afraid of command line".
    Who aren't afraid of command line!!
    Well, as of now i'm afraid of command line because i dont find it interesting compared to graphical front-end. And i think Ubuntu has the later. But #-Link-Snipped-# do you still find ArchLinux deliver you better performance?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Onkar Mavle
    I have no experience on ArchLinux, so read about it a bit and it said: "ArchLinux is popular with intermediate and advanced Linux users who aren't afraid of command line".
    Who aren't afraid of command line!!
    Well, as of now i'm afraid of command line because i dont find it interesting compared to graphical front-end. And i think Ubuntu has the later. But #-Link-Snipped-# do you still find ArchLinux deliver you better performance?
    May be you should opt for Introductory course on Linux, offered on EdX by Linux Foundation.
    Here's the link:#-Link-Snipped-#

I've opted, I'm new to linux, but I'm not afraid of terminal or something, but I want to learn about it ๐Ÿ˜‰

And yes, commands are much more powerful when compared to GUI ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Onkar Mavle
    #-Link-Snipped-# do you still find ArchLinux deliver you better performance?
    Yup, I still find ArchLinux delivers better stability than Ubuntu even after delivering bleeding edge packages.

Reasons :
    1) It is Rolling distribution. Consider that I am using KDE Desktop Environment in ArchLinux which uses KDELibs 4.13 currently, In future when KDE 4.14 will be released, all I have to do 'pacman -Syu' & my system will be upgraded to latest available stacks. While in Ubuntu, you have to wait every 6 months & upgrade the distro to enjoy latest stacks. As for example, Currently Ubuntu 12.04 LTS uses Unity 6, which IMO it's buggy & slow. While Latest 14.04 LTS uses Unity 7.2 which is fast & less buggy (still buggy though). If you want to use Unity 6 in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS then you can't because Canonical doesn't provides you packages for that. Only way to enjoy latest stacks is to use 14.04, which means 4 Major upgrades. Rolling distribution wins, period!

2) Vanilla Packages. Most distributions add their bits into the Desktop Environment, like Distro logo, some apps which not all users really care about, Customization by distro maintainer devs, additional features,etc. While in ArchLinux you get raw vanilla desktop environment, no bloats, no unnecessary customization, tweaks,etc. Thus, making it lot more lightweight.

3) Super dope community. All the users of ArchLinux are pretty experienced. So, when you're having any kind of trouble, just ask in the forum & you'll get answer precisely & instantly.

4) Bleeding Edge packages. Latest packages are ready to deploy within few hours. I simply love bleeding edge distros like openSUSE, Fedora. But, since ArchLinux provides me everything I want from bleeding edge packages to vanilla DE. I can't prefer anything else now, It's like whenever I switch to another distro - It's always like I take a U-turn & come back to Arch. When I am using Arch it feels like home ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Gionee Elife S5.5 phablet has been officially launched in India. We covered the phone's features and specs ahead of MWC 2014, earlier this year. Proudly carrying the title of 'World's...
Micromax India has launched a new smartphone called the 'Micromax Canvas Elanza 2' for the Indian market today. Running atop a 1.2GHz Quad core Snapdragon 200 processors, the Elanza 2...
Sanjam Garg, Alumni of IIT-Delhi batch of 2008, has won the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) award for the year 2013. Sanjam's work revolved around the problem of making software...
What these guys have achieved is quite impressive. The robot uses multiple-legs that mimic the human running action on roads and achieves running speeds. Check this video that shows the...
Researchers have been long working on making machines as intelligent as the humans. Even today, as scientists have buckled up and every day there's a new progress in achieving that...