ubuntu pw help

hi bought a pc wth ubuntu on it.and the previous user has a pw on his account.i have noway of contacting him as he is out of the country.
all methods i found on the internet to reset the pw needed grub2 which i don't have. and i don't know how to make a live usb or a cd.
please someone guide me through this.thankyou so much

Replies

• slashfear
    slashfear
    Hi Deitel,

you can use the recovery mode option, This is how you can do it:

-> when your ubuntu is booting press escape button
    -> Then choose ubuntu (recovery mode)
    -> Wait till the boot process loads up and then, choose Drop to root shell prompt option from the menu
    -> Now you will be in the root prompt (Administrator account) now if you know the user name for whom you wanna set the password for then type,

passwd slashfear

(THE ABOVE COMMAND WILL CHANGE THE PASSWORD FOR THE USER NAMED SLASHFEAR)

it will ask for new password just type the new password and your done reboot the PC and you can now login to that account with the new password you set.

Hope this helps!! 😉

-Arvind
  • Deitel
    Deitel
    but i tried it several times nothing happens when i press esc while rebooting. may be i dont have Grub2 in my pc but i dont know how to check it.
    and i cant install grub because pc prompts for the pw.
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    Hmmm interesting........ can you be more specific what password your referring to is it PC BIOS password or ubuntu password, If it is BIOS password you have to follow different steps and if it is UBUNTU password then you can simply reformat the OS by just getting into the BIOS mode and change the first boot priority to DVD drive or CD ROM and then insert the windows or ubuntu DISK and install a new OS If you want instructions on how to do t please let us know I will guide you.....

-Arvind
  • Deitel
    Deitel
    thank you arvind.its the ubuntu pw, and i used a ubuntu 10.04 dvd and did what you said , but pc stopped booting and requested a deferent cpu as the my cpu is not good enough to boot from this cd.
    my pc is a p4 is there another way around this

comos messege= " this kernel requires an x86-64 cpu ,but only detected an i686 cpu
    unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu"
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    Ok kool so the problem is that you are trying to install x84_64 bit in your machine which only supports 32 bit. so all you have to do now is just download the ubuntu 32 bit version and burn it to disk and install 😀 I dont want to give you trouble searching for that so here is the link to download 32 bit ubuntu: #-Link-Snipped-#

-Arvind
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    #-Link-Snipped-# burn it. boot from this. work around until your brother returns. else reinstall GRUB with ubuntu-help. its simple.

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guyz.... i have a problem here- in control panel in sound & audio devices i get 'no audio device' & i cldnt here any sound. der ws sum problem...
[FONT="]Pressure Measurement[/FONT] -A major concern in process control applications is the measurement of fluid pressure. The term fluid means a substance that can flow; hence, the term applies to both...
Hello CEans,We are back again after Festival holidays ,This time presenting the interview of a CEan who has joined us more than six months and posts 450 posts around, a...
Hello ppl, i am coding for a website and i want to run this code. But i dont know why its not running.