Ubuntu GNOME Is Now Official Ubuntu Flavour.

GNOME – Simple, beautiful, elegant. - The One of the hottest DE (Desktop Environment) will be now added officially in Ubuntu upcoming release Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail.
Till now,most of the Ubuntu users who liked GNOME Environment had to Adding PPAs in Ubuntu to get GNOME Environment.Unfortunately,Ubuntu 12.04 LTS users were unable to feel the GNOME Environment as only Gnome-shell was available in the Ubuntu 12.04 GNOME Remix version.

GnomeUbuntu

I am GNOME Environment user & due to its smooth/flexible environment & easily tweakable Interface I have always loved it more than Officially Shipped Environment "Unity".
In Ubuntu 12.10 Quental Quetzal,It was possible to get entire GNOME Environment using it's official Gnome 3 PPA from launchpad,but the LTS version(12.04) kinda missed it.
Only "Gnome-Shell" don't really gives you GNOME DE feel, right ?

Ubuntu has announced two versions for upcoming release :
- Ubuntu GNOME
- Ubuntu UNITY

Now,If you're well versed with Linux Operating Systems & Environments then you would've known that pre-installed applications like Calendar,Calculator,Orca,Games & Movie Player are of GNOME,so why not get entire GNOME, right ?

Ubuntu GNOME will be shipped with GNOME 3.6 & not 3.8 - unfortunately, most of the Ubuntu 12.10 users were using GNOME 3.6, so we ofcourse demand for the upgrade !
As of now GNOME 3.8 ain't stable - Ubuntu can't ship it with Gnome3 PPA.However, you can add PPA in Ubuntu 13.04 if you wanna upgrade GNOME DE to version 3.8

Read the mailing list of Official Flavour & Name : Official Flavor and name

Finally,
I am happy that I don't have to purge PPAs & then upgrade the distro & then re-add & update the PPAs.
But I feel that this will decrease the popularity of UNITY Desktop Environment,because from my experience GNOME is a lot matured & faster than UNITY.

Whatever it is;
Good Job, Ubuntu 👍

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Thats awesome. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I do miss GNOME. And you are right, only shell doesnt give you the satisfaction. Good that Canonical is learning!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Seriously man!
    If Precise Pangolin had Gnome 3.6 then I would've never upgraded it to Quantal quetzal.
    Why the hell would I choose Non-LTS version ?12.04 is total crap for me as I can't stand unity.
    Unity 7.0 is coming in 13.04 with around 100 new changes & new lenses,can you believe me ?
    If Unity 7.0 will be smooth & easily customizable then I might use it for sometime,however i am tend to go back to my favourite environment - Gnome,once i get bored of all these environments.

BTW I am keen to know that are you upgrading to raring ringtail or gonna stick with 12.04 LTS ?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Nah, I plan to stick to 12.04 only. Not in mood to migrate to Non-LTS versions. I am gonna wait till 14.04.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    The Ubuntu Tech Board approved last week that Ubuntu GNOME is now an official flavor/derivative of Ubuntu Linux. As some non-Mir news, Tim Lunn of the Ubuntu GNOME project wrote into Phoronix that the OS spin is now an official Ubuntu flavor. Ubuntu GNOME was originally released last year in conjunction with Ubuntu 12.10, but now the flavor has been approved by the Tech Board per the IRC meeting logs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There are two options in front of us to make CE available on mobile devices and tablets. The first one is the 'App' and the second one is 'Responsive Design'....
MAY I KNOW THE PURPOSES OF USING BRACINGS IN STRUCTURAL FABRICATION.
South Korea's successful startup event, beLaunch is now accepting Indian applications. If you are a company registered in India and wants to find partners, distributors or create awareness in South...
guys do you know how to read disk capacitor value??? what is the value of 47K, 02 AEC. please help
Often I hear 'A nation's worth is determined by how much gold it has' and 'The cost of gold never depreciates'. My question is why?​Why is gold so valuable? Something...