Ubuntu 9.10 Preview

Hang on for the review. I'm testing it. Will post it once I've given new Ubuntu a through check up.. TIll then here's a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Replies

• yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    is ubuntu 9.10 released?.........

i am using 9.04 version......

i think only the logging window is changed and the desktop is same............
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    9.10 was released a couple of days back!! its code name is Karmic Koala

there are some minor visible changes to the desktop as well..you'll have to wait for the review for the real dope on 9.10!! 😁
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    haven't had much time to test the koala, but what i've seen till now, this seems to be a minor upgrade, which is to be expected since we're still in version 9.x .

Some of the menus are organised differently. The icon set is new, so that's refreshing. Move your moue over to the volume control and you can view the dB (dB a.k.a. decibel is the unit of sound) level of noise you're making!!

The login is the best part (till now at least!!). The default login window is cooooool to say the least. Also, during the boot up, you only see the ubuntu logo, no progress bar.

Booting was not slow, considering i was running it on VirtualBox, with the virtual machine having 600 something MB of RAM..It took me maybe 10 odd seconds to get to the login screen..another 2-3 seconds to get to the desktop..
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    because of no progress bar during startup don't you think it will become too odd....like when routine disk check start you will be unable to know the progress...........

is there any refresh option in 9.10 ?
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    and what about task manager ............is it has one or not?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    nope, no refresh option in this one as well, but you can refresh the desktop by pressing the F5 key..

i think you will be able to view the progress in case of routine disk check, haven't had a chance to check this out yet..

to access the task manager in ubuntu (any version) use the following command, gnome-system-monitor...press alt + F2 and then type the above command.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Some more pics..

1. Here's what you see while booting:

[​IMG]

2. Encrypting your /home directory

[​IMG]

3. Some additional info on the volume manager pop-up
    [​IMG]
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    mad_scientist
    nope, no refresh option in this one as well, but you can refresh the desktop by pressing the F5 key..

i think you will be able to view the progress in case of routine disk check, haven't had a chance to check this out yet..

to access the task manager in ubuntu (any version) use the following command, gnome-system-monitor...press alt + F2 and then type the above command.

thanks for the command.........
  • safwan
    safwan
    Hay maddy do ubantu has UI like windows means no command lines like windows.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Ubuntu (like most other linux distros) has a strong command line (called the terminal) backend..whatever you do in the GUI, you can do it using the terminal..

This does not mean that you need to learn terminal commands to be able to use ubuntu..However the sooner you are at peace with it the better will be your control over it..
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    i upgraded to 9.10 but it doesn't seem to fast..either it is very slow during start up....only some icons are modified....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i need ppt presentation on topic " gsm controlled robot"
..ITCHAP !😁 🎉 🎉 Have a wonderful day ITCHAP!!:myparty: P.S: Sahiti thanks for tip off!
helo guys...I have a problem in following c++ code...I want to find largest and smallest element in an array..using recurssion..please help me #include #include int max1,min1; void maxmin(int a[],int,int,int*,int*); int...
find the volume of the solid cut from the thick walled cylinder 1<=x^2+y^2<=2 by the conesz=+-(x^2+y^2)^(1/2). using dz dr dtheta
Hi, i am student of 3rd-year computer science.I am interested in networking. I have done certifications in J2SE and CCNA. I want to further enhance my skills in this field.Please...