Uber Security Project For ATMs.

In Gujarat, I have read many news that thugs don't just steals the money from Automated Teller Machines but they just remove the entire machine from it's place & take to home.
I mean that's hilarious. So, I got a small idea which can stop this crime & catch the thugs very easily & frequently.

What this Project do ?
A circuit(with LCD & password lock) need to develop with the sensor, which is connected in some hidden place backward of the Teller machine.
Whenever, the teller machine moves from it's place of around 1 feet then the laser sensor shorts the circuit.

The circuit is connected to the the doors of the ATM stall, which drops down as soon the circuit gets shorted & on the other end the automated call to 100 is triggered & police get informed about it frequently.

Drawbacks ?
Like every project, this project has the drawback : What if a bank official want to install the money in the ATM ? Well, we have solution for that, We will keep the sensor circuit, password protected; that only security bank officials know & while installing money in ATMS they can deactivate the sensor & reactivate it once done.

Another thing might rise, that what if thugs know about the working of this security & how it works ? For this we will have clone security system which on damage of primary sensor circuit will get shorted & same process will happen.

Well, I don't know more about the components to be used for such a security system.
So, I am calling #-Link-Snipped-# & any of CEans who are interested in making this project a CrazyEngineer project.

Let's discuss about it's components & how we can bring this project to life.
This project needs lot of work, from circuits to programming to GPS (optional though not bad if added) to automatic calling.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-#, This is really good idea if we can make some security system which prevent such cases. I have some additional idea which we may make this system more reliable.

I have idea to use Accelerometer and GPS+GSM. I will get back to this thread with more detail soon.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-#, Are you all UP if we are planning to implement this project in real? How if we make one demo device which can be used with some modification after real testing?

I was thinking of using some Arduino or other customize board + Accelerometer Break Out Board + GPS/GSM Modem. How's this?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Don't ATMs already have automatic sensors and alarms?

If GSM is used for communications, its possible thieves may use a signal jammer.

I think we need to get a reference design of an actual ATM machine and see where its main weakness lie (e.g structural design, electronics, etc).
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ash
    Don't ATMs already have automatic sensors and alarms?

If GSM is used for communications, its possible thieves may use a signal jammer.

I think we need to get a reference design of an actual ATM machine and see where its main weakness lie (e.g structural design, electronics, etc).
    Good point #-Link-Snipped-# , But is it possible to get ATM machine design ? If not GSM then Accelerometer can be used at-least to sense abnormal movement.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Having a look through Automated Teller Machine Physical article on ATM security, its clear that the more secure features are added, the more brazen and advanced the thieves will get to get the cash.

So lets say, we pick Gujurat as the location to propose our solution. Do the ATMs there currently have automatic sensors or alarms? Are the ATMs anchored poorly to the building foundations? Which banks are the most vulnerable?

We can propose a cost effective interim solution, but on the long run, perhaps we can work on a more robust system (like tracking with other means, better CCTV surveillance, etc).
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ash
    Having a look through Automated Teller Machine Physical article on ATM security, its clear that the more secure features are added, the more brazen and advanced the thieves will get to get the cash.

So lets say, we pick Gujurat as the location to propose our solution. Do the ATMs there currently have automatic sensors or alarms? Are the ATMs anchored poorly to the building foundations? Which banks are the most vulnerable?

We can propose a cost effective interim solution, but on the long run, perhaps we can work on a more robust system (like tracking with other means, better CCTV surveillance, etc).
    There may be some provision to prevent such cases but if we talk few months back there were more than 5-6 cases where thief taken away ATM machine itself very easily. CCTV was there but just for namesake.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Harshad Italiya
    There may be some provision to prevent such cases but if we talk few months back there were more than 5-6 cases where thief taken away ATM machine itself very easily. CCTV was there but just for namesake.
    How are they taken away? Using tow trucks and blow torches? So we look at two angles:

1. Means to prevent ATM from being dislodged (and sensors to detect attempts, such as vibration, heat and impact sensors).
    2. As currently discussed in this thread, once dislodged, sensors to detect movement and ways to track.

Both instances will need to be reported to authorities.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ash
    How are they taken away? Using tow trucks and blow torches? So we look at two angles:

1. Means to prevent ATM from being dislodged (and sensors to detect attempts, such as vibration, heat and impact sensors).
    2. As currently discussed in this thread, once dislodged, sensors to detect movement and ways to track.

Both instances will need to be reported to authorities.

Yes ! Perfect and to report such information to authorities either we need some GSM then there is chance to use jammer and stop this function.

Some short range RF and from that place it will communicate with GSM.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-#, Are you all UP if we are planning to implement this project in real? How if we make one demo device which can be used with some modification after real testing?

I was thinking of using some Arduino or other customize board + Accelerometer Break Out Board + GPS/GSM Modem. How's this?
    Let's make s blueprint on this project.
    How we will setup all thing & using which components we'll be using to create the project.
    But before that we need to systematically jot down somewhere how really the security system will work. We have scattered thoughts here, let's recollect it & finalise the working of project ?

I am basically aiming this project for my last year project 😀
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Its a bit hard to collaborate in threads. Maybe you can find a good project collaboration site to organize thoughts.

Last time me and #-Link-Snipped-# used Google Sites for CE Bot, logged in with our CE mail IDs. You can check it out here.. maybe get some inspiration on how to organize the system components: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Before beating around the bush can anyone of us look at the hacking side of it.
    How the hell the THUG's or the robbers are allowed to do so,

Some pointers:
    Camera's - First thing is to cut the camera wires, so that will stop video capturing.
    Disconnect all chips - Next thing is to disconnect electricity that makes sure that all the chips / GSM / GPS are disabled.
    Disable Alarms - I am sure they must be doing something to disable all kind of alarms.

My idea is these machines should have a feature of self destruction 😁
    Seems Crazy CEAN?

They should imply some mechanism inside the ATM machines that if without security pins (which should be with government officials only), if someone tries to open / remove the ATM machine, After calculating the amount and sending a message to control room, machine should be self destructible.

This will certainly dishearten all type of ATM thefts

-CB
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    crazyboy
    My idea is these machines should have a feature of self destruction 😁
    Seems Crazy CEAN?

-CB
    Self Destruction isn't an option, it's not a missile or something which would self destruct without causing harm to anybody.

While I liked the thought that as soon as the ATM moves, the door will be locked, and automatically Control Room will be called, that's a better Idea.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    crazyboy
    Camera's - First thing is to cut the camera wires, so that will stop video capturing.
    Camera is just to fool 'em. I don't need camera to catch thugs.

crazyboy
    Disconnect all chips - Next thing is to disconnect electricity that makes sure that all the chips / GSM / GPS are disabled.
    Okay, this is noted!
    Do you know anyway to cope this exploit ? Any idea ?

crazyboy
    Disable Alarms - I am sure they must be doing something to disable all kind of alarms.
    Again, Alarms is just to fool around & make them freak out.
    Automatic door shutdown & automated call is enough to freak them out.

Any more suggestions ?
    If we're about to rob ATM, what we'll do if this type of security system is protecting the ATMs ?
    I would love if some more CEans give their opinions on this.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    thugs don't just steals the money from Automated Teller Machines but they just remove the entire machine from it's place & take to home.
    there was an incident in Greater Noida where they stole SBI atm machine but they can't able to break it and next day police bring back that machine 😁.

No electric equipment / camera work which has interface with outside of ATM.
    Every Indian lands on earth with pre-qualified Ph.D. in JUGAAD technology😘

My points,
    • There should be a loud siren when machine trying to be tempered. (not very good idea but may come handy with fools)
    • Fit ATM Machine in blockhole, no space side by side. (to prevent breaking of machine)
    • Fit an autonomous GPS, sound recording (inside every ATM), and alert system to bank and police. (Would be nice use of latest Indian navigation satellite 😛 )
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Sanyam Khurana
    Self Destruction isn't an option, it's not a missile or something which would self destruct without causing harm to anybody.
    Why?

I didn't mean destruction means explosion. it can simply destroy the money inside the ATM, that's the whole motive of the theft right?

That's pretty much possible without harming anyone, right?
    Think another way, if somebody is stealing the money, that's already gone from government / bank's pocket. Then why not destroy the money and dishearten thieves?

-CB
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ianoop
    My points,
    • There should be a loud siren when machine trying to be tempered. (not very good idea but may come handy with fools)
    This is my main point which we can use for security along with Abhishek's idea.
    We will put one accelerometer + Hooter which is battery powered so it will work even after removing main supply.

Again, Alarms is just to fool around & make them freak out.
    Automatic door shutdown & automated call is enough to freak them out.
    Abhishek Rawal
    Let's make s blueprint on this project.
    How we will setup all thing & using which components we'll be using to create the project.
    But before that we need to systematically jot down somewhere how really the security system will work. We have scattered thoughts here, let's recollect it & finalise the working of project ?

I am basically aiming this project for my last year project 😀
    I am all ready to work on this project.

ash
    Its a bit hard to collaborate in threads. Maybe you can find a good project collaboration site to organize thoughts.

Last time me and #-Link-Snipped-# used Google Sites for CE Bot, logged in with our CE mail IDs. You can check it out here.. maybe get some inspiration on how to organize the system components: #-Link-Snipped-#
    That's really great work by Varun.
    We have two Options.
    1. Let's create such page with CE email ID.
    2. Start dedicated thread in CE-Lab section.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    We have two Options.
    1. Let's create such page with CE email ID.
    2. Start dedicated thread in CE-Lab section.
    One more option :
    I think we need to meet. And, no other time can be as great as Diwali vacation as in normal days it's very hard to spare time for travel.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Off topic :- But I found the best solution for ATM Security.

[​IMG]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Linux Kernel 3.10 with Massive changes in over decade is finally been released yesterday(today) on 30th June 2013 (1st July 2013 IST) by Linus Torvalds. Linus was delaying the...
In India, in very huge amount power theft is done. So, government decided to replace Analog Power meters with Digital Power meters. However, after the replacement of Digital meters in...
BIOS is a small program that controls personal computer's hardware from the time the computer is started and until it is taken upon by the operating system.. also BIOS is...
At lowest cost a RFtransrecivers are available in market and they consume very little bit of current if compared with normal zigbee transrecivers.it will be configured via SPI protocol and...
While designing an ISP for AVR through serial configuration and 8051,coming to 8051 it supports for 89sxx versions but when flashing the program in to controllers then getting an issue.software...