Two-wheelers with belt drives

As we all know that motor cycles make use of chain drives as means of transmitting power from engine to rear wheel.

Now i was wondering what would happen if this chain-sprocket thing was to be replaced by belt and pulley system.

it will have its own advantages : it will be lighter, noise levels will be reduced, and it will make the vehicle designer's job easier.

Does it have any advantages though ? is this feasible ?

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    No, belts can't be used due to following reasons:

- Belts have much less strength than chains
    - Susceptible to slip, speed ratio doesn't remains constant
    - Periodic retensioning is required
    - Upper limit on power and speed
    - Belts deteriorate on exposure to lubricants
    - Limited life and need periodic replacement
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    mechky

-

can you elaborate on this ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Belt drives depend on friction. Things may happen to reduce this at a critical moment leading to accidents. mechky's elaboration is explicit.
  • mechky
    mechky
    zaveri
    can you elaborate on this ?
    speed limit is about 2000m/min and power limit is about 60kW
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    Some cars use timing belts. Some motorcycles also use belts. And there seems to be no problem.
    Please correct me if I am wrong. ๐Ÿ˜•
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    zm-i
    Some cars use timing belts. Some motorcycles also use belts. And there seems to be no problem.
    Please correct me if I am wrong. ๐Ÿ˜•
    Which are those bikes
  • zm-i
    zm-i

Aren't those belts?๐Ÿ˜•
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    zm-i

Aren't those belts?๐Ÿ˜•
    Yes those are belts. those are ribbed belts. they are basically used for timing. they seem to make good substitutes for chain drives in those harley davidsons .
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    Yes those are belts. those are ribbed belts. they are basically used for timing. they seem to make good substitutes for chain drives in those harley davidsons .
    So belts can be used, right?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    zm-i
    So belts can be used, right?

ofcourse. as you can see that they are already being used.
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    Yes. I do recognize that #-Link-Snipped-#. ๐Ÿ˜€ However, the first respond to your topic is a "no". So, I wonder if what #-Link-Snipped-# says is true.

- Belts have much less strength than chains
    - Susceptible to slip, speed ratio doesn't remains constant
    - Periodic retensioning is required
    - Belts deteriorate on exposure to lubricants
    - Limited life and need periodic replacement
    I never really know the reason why, but I know that many have substituted chains with belts (...and of course they change the sprocket too).
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    zm-i
    Yes. I do recognize that #-Link-Snipped-#. ๐Ÿ˜€ However, the first respond to your topic is a "no". So, I wonder if what #-Link-Snipped-# says is true.

I never really know the reason why, but I know that many have substituted chains with belts (...and of course they change the sprocket too).
    i first said no, because mechky gave strong reasons. But now since belt drives are implemented and the bikes are running normally, then there is no point in disagreeing
  • mechky
    mechky
    zm-i

Yes, toothed belts similar to timing belts are appropriate.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

if a generator capacity is 250MW and it is providing 200MW according to the load if the load increases to 210MW suddenly how this power will be generated because it...
Lately we have all been dealing with the term and parameter called coefficient of friction. But i would like to know what exactly it is ?does it indicate the amount...
Hello,My name is KARANAM SURESH, Diploma in civil engineering qualification,working as a Senior Engineer in building constructions ,in a private firm at HYDERABAD,INDIA. I would like to improve and update...
If the two terminals of a dc motor are shorted together and if a mechanical torque is applied on the motor shaft, then the shaft will not rotate so easily....
Image processing Using SciLab