View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12920 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
zaveri
zaveri • Jul 22, 2012

Two-wheelers with belt drives

As we all know that motor cycles make use of chain drives as means of transmitting power from engine to rear wheel.

Now i was wondering what would happen if this chain-sprocket thing was to be replaced by belt and pulley system.

it will have its own advantages : it will be lighter, noise levels will be reduced, and it will make the vehicle designer's job easier.

Does it have any advantages though ? is this feasible ?
mechky
mechky • Jul 22, 2012
No, belts can't be used due to following reasons:

- Belts have much less strength than chains
- Susceptible to slip, speed ratio doesn't remains constant
- Periodic retensioning is required
- Upper limit on power and speed
- Belts deteriorate on exposure to lubricants
- Limited life and need periodic replacement
zaveri
zaveri • Jul 23, 2012
mechky

-

can you elaborate on this ?
Belt drives depend on friction. Things may happen to reduce this at a critical moment leading to accidents. mechky's elaboration is explicit.
mechky
mechky • Jul 24, 2012
zaveri
can you elaborate on this ?
speed limit is about 2000m/min and power limit is about 60kW
zm-i
zm-i • Jul 26, 2012
Some cars use timing belts. Some motorcycles also use belts. And there seems to be no problem.
Please correct me if I am wrong. πŸ˜•
zaveri
zaveri • Jul 27, 2012
zm-i
Some cars use timing belts. Some motorcycles also use belts. And there seems to be no problem.
Please correct me if I am wrong. πŸ˜•
Which are those bikes
zm-i
zm-i • Jul 27, 2012

Aren't those belts?πŸ˜•
zaveri
zaveri • Jul 28, 2012
zm-i

Aren't those belts?πŸ˜•
Yes those are belts. those are ribbed belts. they are basically used for timing. they seem to make good substitutes for chain drives in those harley davidsons .
zm-i
zm-i • Jul 29, 2012
Yes those are belts. those are ribbed belts. they are basically used for timing. they seem to make good substitutes for chain drives in those harley davidsons .
So belts can be used, right?
zaveri
zaveri • Jul 31, 2012
zm-i
So belts can be used, right?

ofcourse. as you can see that they are already being used.
zm-i
zm-i • Jul 31, 2012
Yes. I do recognize that zaveri. πŸ˜€ However, the first respond to your topic is a "no". So, I wonder if what mechky says is true.

- Belts have much less strength than chains
- Susceptible to slip, speed ratio doesn't remains constant
- Periodic retensioning is required
- Belts deteriorate on exposure to lubricants
- Limited life and need periodic replacement
I never really know the reason why, but I know that many have substituted chains with belts (...and of course they change the sprocket too).
zaveri
zaveri • Jul 31, 2012
zm-i
Yes. I do recognize that zaveri. πŸ˜€ However, the first respond to your topic is a "no". So, I wonder if what mechky says is true.

I never really know the reason why, but I know that many have substituted chains with belts (...and of course they change the sprocket too).
i first said no, because mechky gave strong reasons. But now since belt drives are implemented and the bikes are running normally, then there is no point in disagreeing
mechky
mechky • Aug 1, 2012
zm-i

Yes, toothed belts similar to timing belts are appropriate.

Share this content on your social channels -