Two Billion Jobs may vanish by 2030. What is to replace them?

Thomas Frey, futurologist, predicts that two billion jobs may vanish by 2030 at the doors of advances in automation. All may not be doom and gloom. McKinsey & Companyreport that the internet created 2.6 jobs for each lost to technological advances. Likewise 3D printing and advanced robotics may create more jobs than lost.
Since 2030 is not all that far away, a relook at what engineers (CEans inclusive) should be doing now to tackle the scene at 2030 may be important.

#-Link-Snipped-#

CEans, what should we look at?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not a pessimistic, but we'll still have jobs but we'll work for the robots. That's how it's going to be. I already work for my computer which keeps controlling my time.

Automation is going to replace humans as machines continue to make majority of humans dumber. I personally have lost the ability to do simple math in my head and have began resorting to the calculator app in my mobile. It sucks!

I've found solace in not thinking about the future much.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Soon, moderators will be replaced by bots also.. 😛
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    What will replace the jobs ?

very simple : Entrepreneurship of course.

In fact this will help to generate more jobs.

but mind you all, the idea of robots replacing humans is just a fantasy, and this will not really take place. God will surely not allow this.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    Entrepreneurship of course.
    In fact this will help to generate more jobs.
    The idea of robots replacing humans is just a fantasy, and this will not really take place. God will surely not allow this.
    The robots are made by engineers. They will replace blue collar workers. One of the companies in my group already has one new plant with many robots doing the job of a human worker.

What we should do now is to search for alternatives. There will be new kind of jobs. Let us gear up for it.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Man must never be foolish enough to hand the control completely to the bots. I am not against automation But 100% of it will make you lose every thing in your life

Never say automation can replace every thing Things which a one on one human interaction can provide can never be equated and substituted by robots
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    bioramani
    What we should do now is to search for alternatives. There will be new kind of jobs. Let us gear up for it.

Now even if we search for these new jobs, in a matter of time , new bots will be created to replace humans doing those "new jobs"
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Soon, moderators will be replaced by bots also.. 😛
    Yep, I think that'll enable us to have more 'human feel' to all the mod activities and conversations 😉

Automation is already replacing humans, but maybe we're finding comfort in 'being in charge' of those bots.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    So long as humans think (Crazily if needed), we will hold our own.The issue is not the lost jobs. What skills have to develop to take on the new jobs? What should we do now to handle that situation pro-actively?
    Bulk of the jobs lost will be blue collar ones. Not the creative ones. It is upto us to develop training programmes to handle the new scenario.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    My two cents here Humans have the ability to think out of the box when it is needed But robots fail miserably here. That is why automatised products are photocopies of one another Whereas each and every human being is distinct in their approach to any problem

That differentiates Humans and Robots Making Humans Irreplacable

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans, I am Shabbir Hasan 😀 Wanted to become an astronomer ended up with B.tech (Electrical & Electronics, 2011) with lots of Robotics & AI Maniac, But still loving...
I'm trying to introduce a new ROLL based routing protocol for 6lowpan. And we're planning to use Cooja simulator for development, analysis and hardware integration using contiki OS. but since...
How to make 3 phase a.c. to d.c.(300-400 V) converter? please provide info in detail.
sir, i am vineeth, am an 2nd year student in civil engi. discipline here are the some of things i would like to know 1.an over view one GATE and...
Hello CEans😀, I would be thankful if anyone could help me by providing few topics concerned with latest technologies in EC field for Seminar. I have searched on my part...