tutorials from home

Hi guys,

problem being my father. ๐Ÿ˜€ . He is a retired Prof for Commerce and economics and he still prefers to go to private institutions to teach just for the habit of it and ofcourse for the love of subject( I really don't find it interesting though). I don't want him to travel and he is stubborn enough not to give up. sigh.I was thinking may be he can conduct internet-based-tutorials form home. I am not really sure of the process to be followed for the set up needed.
any suggestions?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Of course he can. The fastest & easiest way is to record video lectures and upload them on YouTube.

One of my ex-bosses is already in the process of making this process simpler through a web-based service. It'll take some time for it to go live though.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ๐Ÿ˜ hey ! thanks. I think youtube has the vedio duration at max at 10mins right?
    Know few of my freinds here subscribe to tutorials. During the whole duration of tutorials ( which are basically DB related/testing relateda dn go one for 3 hours ) the guy performs operations on his computer -along with audio and all these guys view it. some thing like remote view stuff. I really dont know what's its called ..
  • thisisananth
    thisisananth
    Hey Durga.. Nice idea...

There is a website called vimeo (#-Link-Snipped-#) where you can upload videos. The max file size is 500 mb and in avi format it can be two hour thing. So this will solve your problem.

And of course there is scribd.com for sharing documents and presentations.

It would be great if he can start a blog and then embed these documents and files as lessons. He can start teach for free, build a community with google connect.

If they become popular, he can make some money by selling them on mindbites.com

Even if he has no thought of selling them, having a blog dedicated to it will be a great way to teach online.

Thanks,
    Ananth.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Your father can use multicast streaming in conjunction with hosting the videos somewhere online..Here is the software by Carnegie Mellon:

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • thisisananth
    thisisananth
    Good option mad_scientist, but when I tried to subscribe it is saying that ESM accounts are no longer being offered.!!

An ESM Broadcaster account is needed if you want to broadcast content on ESM. After you submit your registration, we will email you when your account has been activated.

End System Multicast has reached the end of it's life, and we are no longer offering ESM accounts.
  • Differential
    Differential
    durga
    Hi guys,

problem being my father. ๐Ÿ˜€ . He is a retired Prof for Commerce and economics and he still prefers to go to private institutions to teach just for the habit of it and ofcourse for the love of subject( I really don't find it interesting though). I don't want him to travel and he is stubborn enough not to give up. sigh.I was thinking may be he can conduct internet-based-tutorials form home. I am not really sure of the process to be followed for the set up needed.
    any suggestions?
    I'm sure you didn't ask this and you might not like my answer, but I am taking a risk.
    Why don't you purchase a 4-wheeler and employ a driver? I am sure he will enjoy being with his students rather than being with a machine.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Differential
    I'm sure you didn't ask this and you might not like my answer, but I am taking a risk.
    Why don't you purchase a 4-wheeler and employ a driver? I am sure he will enjoy being with his students rather than being with a machine.
    :ROFL: thats one 'out'standing suggestion. Just kidding. I have other issues to handle ๐Ÿ˜

@ MAddie and ananth: thanks! I will find some time to use them from my end and then try putting them at HOME end ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    This is nice.. I hope it works out!

I guess you mean screencasting when you talk about showing the operations on the screen with his voice over it. Should work fine, especially when he is able to do annotations and draw stuff over the notes. Takes a bit of practice, but it'll really payoff.

Biggie suggested this online screencasting tool that can be useful:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Check out my test video. Your dad would probably make better use with annotations of course. He can make use of a tablet to draw the economic figures and all ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, i am onkar deshpande in BE IT want some mwga project idea
I must have done this a week ago. I presume Shalinis BDAY was on 14 aug .refer to her blog. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHALINI!!! :myparty:
hello sir, i did a program well.no error for compiling section,but running time applet window started,did not get a image.please give me the clear solution.
Anyone working on twisted? Its a networking framework written in python.I need twisted tutorials(other than twisted documentation and o'reilly book).
Fix all corrupted files in XP: Just follow the steps below: Put the XP CD in your CD/DVD drive Go to start then run type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) in...