Turbine overspeeding reason

Dear all, consider a simple steam turbine system with some feed-water heaters installed before the steam generator. Can you please explain this paragraph in a more understandable manner:
1.In case of load rejection, the steam pressure in the turbine decreases. Water in the heaters evaporates and in absence of any protection the steam can enter in to the turbine and result in turbine over speed.
2.A source of steam i.e. Auxiliary steam for Deaerator is connected through extraction steam pipe. The steam can enter into the turbine by leakage and result in turbine over speed.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Steam turbine over speed is usually caused by a sudden 100% loss of the driven load. This can be due to the coupling failure or in cases where the load is an electric generator loss of load on the generator. This load loss leads to the loss of pressure. When the back pressure decreases more water tends to boil in the preheaters generating steam. This steam can cause an increase in the exit velocity at the turbine nozzle leading to increase in turbine speed. Since the driven load had failed totally, this becomes a runaway catastrophy.
    Modern turbines have sophisticated electronic governors which at least prevents hazardous failures and limit the damage.

This article gives some details on the controls:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I have done my bachelor degree in engineering. Now I feel need MS degree also. Currently i'm xyz MNC. I want to continue with job and completed my Degree...
At Spaceport America in its New Mexico facility, spaceflight company Virgin Galactic was blessed by the Y-3 with a sample of flight suit and space boots. Y-3, the high-end fashion...
I got a new WD Elements 1 TB hard disk and i was shocked when my laptop didnt recognize it. I tried four different laptops with Win 7 / Linux...
FujiFilm has announced a successor to FinePix XP80, the all new XP90 point-n-shoot camera. The new model gets the same 16.4 MP, 1/2.3" CMOS sensor along with 5X optical zoom...
Chinese electronics manufacturing company, Oppo is known throughout the world because every time they launch a phone, they bring something unique with the phone. The rotating camera phone which was...