CrazyEngineers
  • I realized the importance of tubeless tiers today. I had to drive out of station and on the highway, I discovered a tiny little screw sticking in the front-left tire. The main advantage of tubeless tires is that even if it gets a puncture; the air won't escape right away and takes its own time. I've had heard stories of accidents due to tire bursts. Thanks to the tubeless tires that I could finish my journey safely and without any worries.

Now, that got me thinking - why don't we have tubeless tires in all the two wheelers? I *guess* that they are used in racing motorcycles. If the tubeless tires can be used in two-wheelers, then why aren't they the de-facto choice for two wheelers? Is cost the major factor or there are other reasons as well?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • ShrinkDWorld

MemberDec 4, 2011

I think the cost of tubeless tiers is more & requires another method to change it.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • lal

MemberDec 4, 2011

@Biggie, tubeless tiers are widely used in motor cycles these days. Many of my friends are using it and I'm planning to change my own.
    Cancel
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla

MemberDec 4, 2011

The cost is one of the factor, and if the type get punctured we need to have a different mechanism to heal it.
    Its not like conventional tyres and not available in most of the places.
    Cancel
  • lal

MemberDec 4, 2011

Availability is not a big concern I think, because it has become quite common. And yes repairing it is costlier as the tire itself is.
    Another fact is tubeless tyres are really helpful in long rides. It doesn't make any difference if the rides are short.
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberDec 5, 2011

Tubeless are the primary tire type used in the US & Europe, except for off road applications. Tube tires are benefitial in that situation.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorDec 5, 2011

gohm
    Tubeless are the primary tire type used in the US & Europe, except for off road applications. Tube tires are benefitial in that situation.
    The question is - are they used in motorcycles as well? Cars usually have the tubeless ones.
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberDec 27, 2011

Yes, tubed tires are used for nearly all dual sport, off road and many spoked rim wheels on motorcycles. Most bikes I've had have been tubed & I actually prefer them as they are easier to work on yourself.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register