TTl :Time to Live concept in networking

๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•

hello ,

I was going through time to live concept , this is basically helps to prevent circular routing and also lets the broadcaster in network know the packet are reaching destination or not , if not their TTL field is decremented , when it reaches zero its discarded boroadcaster informed then he can chose whether to rebroadcast package or not : My question is as follows

1) What are advantages of using TTL ( leaving that it helps to prevent circular routing one ) ?

2) What are the disadvantages of TTL , its really difficult to make out ?

Yours help will be appreciated !!

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    disclaimer : i am already half asleep . will try to put in as much as i can now

, see its not circular routing , its more of bringing down the network with same packet being sent downin the network a million times and nothing to stop it. when TTL value has been provided, for each hop the packet does, the TTL is decremented, thus even if network goes down , we wont ave repeated packets.
    Consider this network L1 <-->R1<-->R2<-->R3<-->L2, when link between L1 and R1 goes down, R1 says out -" guys! dont update your routin table, i dont see L1 ", R2 says -" dont worry, i have a route". Now, it has to be noted that R2 gets the route to L1 only thorugh R1, but since there is no feild to validate, R1 takes it up, hence though theoritically its only 1 hop away, R1 sees it as 2 hops ( R1 -->R2 -->R1), when TTL is introduced, though this continues it dies off when offset is 0, thus packet is discard and the network is self healing, as we another possibilty what i can see is, when there are duplicate routing entries, TTL helps to see if this packet has already been sent
  • king99
    king99
    hahaaa , hey thanks for the answer so i got advanatage of using ttl , nice explanation , ur master of networking !!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was hoping to see the dead Osama Bin Laden. However, I'm bit surprised that there are no official photos of dead Osama so far. Things are quite unusual. There's...
Sometimes we found ourselves no where and finally we finish in better position. When I choose Electrical stream, I don't know what I am doing but as time goes on...
Hero Honda Hunk motorcycle is releasing in India on May 04, 2011. Like all motorcycle companies, Hero Honda is promoting the 'new technology' built in the bike and its strength...
HI, Im guiding, College Students in developing academic projects. Currently iam focusing on Embedded/Microcontroller and Software based Student Projects. We Provide Latest Embedded Live Projects for Final year BE/B.Tech, ME/M.Tech,...
These are video lecture series on Pre-stressed Concrete Structures by Prof. A.K.Sengupta Department of Civil Engineering IIT Madras . [video=youtube;4KYPltsNAWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYPltsNAWs&feature=player_embedded[/video]