CrazyEngineers
  • A soap company has produced 10 boxes of soap. Each box contains 100 bars of soap, and is supposed to weigh 30kgs. But each of the bars of soap in one of the boxes is 1g more than it should be. You have a digital scale that you can use for reading the weight only ONCE. How do you know which box weighs more?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • ElectricStriker

MemberNov 22, 2008

is it that hard !!!
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • komputergeek

MemberNov 22, 2008

Can he use any means to compare weights of 2 boxes?
    If he can then he will take any random box and weigh it.If it is 30kg +100g (I am bad in maths.Still i am a engineer 😉 ) then he got the solution else he will compare that box with all other boxes to get the answer.
    Cancel
  • ElectricStriker

MemberNov 22, 2008

sorry man, u can use the digital scale only once...think again:wink:
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorNov 22, 2008

ElectricStriker
    A soap company has produced 10 boxes of soap. Each box contains 100 bars of soap, and is supposed to weigh 30kgs. But each of the bars of soap in one of the boxes is 1g more than it should be. You have a digital scale that you can use for reading the weight only ONCE. How do you know which box weighs more?
    My take -

Name the boxes from 1 - 10. Take out as many bars from each box as its number. That is, 1 bar from the box #1, 2 from box # 2, and so on till 10 bars from box # 10

Then weigh them together. The difference in the expected weight and the actual weight should shout the number of the faulty box. [​IMG]

Alright? :hehehe:
    Cancel
  • durga ch

MemberNov 22, 2008

biggie!! I understood your solution... if the expected wt is 1 gm more than actual wt the bar is from first box... if its 2 gms more its in second box... and so on.. good till here...but tell me what if all the bars are identical?I mean same size and shape??

1 sec I guess I know how..

arrange them in a form of a pyramid while weighing... ie 10 bars of box 10 in the lowest line,9bas from box 9 above it ..and so on...till 1 bar form boc 1 on the top..
    so depending on what is the excess weight we can determine the box 😀

P.S:I know i just elaborated your solution 😁
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorNov 22, 2008

durga
    biggie!! I understood your solution... if the expected wt is 1 gm more than actual wt the bar is from first box... if its 2 gms more its in second box... and so on.. good till here...but tell me what if all the bars are identical?I mean same size and shape??

1 sec I guess I know how..

arrange them in a form of a pyramid while weighing... ie 10 bars of box 10 in the lowest line,9bas from box 9 above it ..and so on...till 1 bar form boc 1 on the top..
    so depending on what is the excess weight we can determine the box 😀

P.S:I know i just elaborated your solution 😁
    No matter how you arrange them - the difference in the weight will give you the box number. 😁
    Cancel
  • durga ch

MemberNov 22, 2008

The_Big_K
    No matter how you arrange them - the difference in the weight will give you the box number. 😁
    got it!!!😉
    Cancel
  • ElectricStriker

MemberNov 22, 2008

WeLL DoNe... great thinkin'
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register