'Transplantation Tolerance' frees the transplant patients from drugs in 2 years

Transplant, in easy language means to replace a malfunctioning organ with a healthy one. But the procedure is not as easy, the organ grafted into the recipient's body is attacked by the immune system which can have 'scary' consequences. Thus the patient is put on life long immuno-suppressants which (as the name suggests), suppress the immune system. But, the side effects are no less! A body with a suppressed immune system is susceptible to diseases.
Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre has put an end to all this with what they call as 'Transplantation tolerance'. The technique is to graft donor's stem cell's in the recipient's body which will create regulatory cells, which in turn will prevent the body from attacking the transplanted organ for a long time. This new technique has nothing to do with the immune system. Thus the immune system remains functional and the patient is off the drugs in 2 years.
Presently, the technique is available only for kidney transplant where the stem cells taken from the donor's bone marrow and belly fat are introduced into recipient's liver before the transplant.
Looking forward for the time when the technique is usable for all the transplants.
I really think that it is a great leap for all those striving for a blessed life after getting knifed on the operation table! Do you think the same?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This idea is not really new. It has been around for fifty years. However, recent developments has led to a clearer understanding of organ transplant problems. It is certainly a very useful concept and will involve studies in many directions.
    This is a good review:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

This article shows that there are miles to go yet:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Smeechi Mittal
    Smeechi Mittal
    Thank you for the additions 😀
    Though ideas are seldom new, it's always the implementation that takes time. The research had been going for years, no doubt with all the paper presentations.
    The good news is that the researchers have finally found a 100% recovery rate. Though 100% is a real big figure to think of! But the Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre claimed the world's first model for transplant tolerance on Thurday with a rate of 100% recovery of the test patients.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello engineers!!!!!!!!!!
Hello!please suggest some good project topics for electronics and communication
I wish to know how can i interact with Operating System's kernel in C programming language?
Russians have unveiled plans for a commercial hotel in Near earth orbit. Hot meals prepared on earth, luxurious accommodation, zero gravity of course and a wide angle view of space....
Name: Sailaja Engineering Trade: ECE Location: Visakhapatnam Occupation: Student Hobbies & Interests: programming, interacting with friends, reading books Aim in life: to be a good ece scientist cum lecturer I...