Transparent electronics made possible by world's fastest organic transistor

organic-transistor

Engineers at Stanford have successfully achieved a breakthrough in developing world's fastest organic, thin-film transistor. The latest transistor is about 5x faster than its rivals created using a similar technology. Zhenan Bao, professor of Chemical engineering at Stanford & Jinson Huang, assistant professor of mechanical and materials engineering at University of Nebraska-Lincoln altered the basic process of developing the thin-film organic transistors. These transistors would allow for the performance needed for high-res displays and other electronic devices.​

The typical process of developing organic transistor involves dropping a special solution of carbon-rich molecules along with complementary plastic on a spinning glass platter. The spinning movement of the platter allows for creating a coat of the material over the top. The researcher duo spun the platter faster and only coated a tiny portion of the spinning surface; approximately the size of a regular postage stamp.

This change in the process of development of the transistor resulted into denser concentration of the organic molecules into a more regular alignment and made way for better carrier mobility. The researchers believe that the process can be improved further and could lead to manufacturing of low-cost, high performance electronics built on glass, clear & flexible plastic substrate.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• micheal john
    micheal john
    Soon we can experience Transparent era in electronics.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    micheal john
    Soon we can experience Transparent era in electronics.
    That's right. Not sure what are the exact applications of the technology; but they should be useful in displays used in TV, smartphones and tablets.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It is obvious that armv7 architecture is better than armv6. Apart from gaming , in what terms armv7 is better than armv6? I want to know what is the main...
Nokia's new mid-budget smartphone called the Nokia Asha 503 has hit Indian shores today at a price tag of Rs. 6,683. Available now on the Nokia Office eStore, the Asha...
​Akshai Varde is the Indian name behind the Italian-sounding, awesome-looking, Vardenchi Motorcycles. I had a chance to meet Akshai at TiECon Nagpur 2013 where he was a guest speaker. Akshai...
Android is an operating system based on Linux which is virus free.But there are lots of antivirus apps for android. Do we really need antivirus app on android ?
My areas include: Java, C/C++, Python. I want to do my major project and need ideas for web development projects. I have thought of providing live demo online of applications...