Translate Emails Automatically In Gmail!

Gmail today has announced an important feature: automatic email message translation. Google Translate product manager Jeff Chin announced the availability of the service through #-Link-Snipped-# on Google blog. The service was available in the Gmail Labs and after some real-life testing, Google's engineers have decided to move the app into the real world, making it an integral part of Gmail.

Say you get an email in Chinese, you will see a 'Translate' button in the header area of your email. Click on that button and Gmail will begin translating your email in the language of your choice (the default will be the one you've set up in your account settings). If you don't need the translation service, you may simply turn it off in the account settings.

Those of you who love Chrome are already aware that Google Chrome browser offers translation whenever it finds a non-English page. The service works absolutely great and if I'm not mistaken is capable of translating the messages in Gmail as well, without needing a separate translator. The service of course users Google Translation tools in the backend. If you use this service, do share your opinion and thoughts with the rest of us through comments on this post.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think the google-chrome translate feature doesn't work for emails, that is why they developed this facility. Not sure though. Will check and report back here.

PS: Can anyone send me an email in a foreign language? ☕
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    AbraKaDabra
    Send me an email in Japanese and I'll find it out. 😁

PS: I use Sparrow mail client that removes the pain of logging in to gmail. #LazyMe.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    AbraKaDabra
    I think the google-chrome translate feature doesn't work for emails, that is why they developed this facility. Not sure though. Will check and report back here.

The_Big_K
    Send me an email in Japanese and I'll find it out. 😁

PS: I use Sparrow mail client that removes the pain of logging in to gmail. #LazyMe.
    Keep me in CC I too want to test this translate feature. 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I think I am using Gmail Translator for long time.😨
    when ever I got mail in hindi or some different language other than english, gmail asked me weather I want to translate or not.

#-Link-Snipped-# Go to google translate and translate some english to japanese, copy paste in gmail and send it to yourself.😛😁
    Google Translate

管理者こんにちは、お元気ですか。😉.

Edit:
    It is showing as box but when you copy & paste its woking good.
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    ianoop
    I think I am using Gmail Translator for long time.😨
    when ever I got mail in hindi or some different language other than english, gmail asked me weather I want to translate or not.

#-Link-Snipped-# Go to google translate and translate some english to japanese, copy paste in gmail and send it to yourself.😛😁
    Google Translate

管理者こんにちは、お元気ですか。😉.

Edit:
    It is showing as box but when you copy & paste its woking good.
    How about the translation? Is it good for reading? I only use translator for words translating since I use it to translate sentence, it always drives me crazy!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Google translate messes up the grammar (at least for Japanese). But its good for translating short phrases.
  • Sarbojit
    Sarbojit
    @Abra: It not only messes up Japanese grammar but also for Finnish and to some extent German.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sarbojit
    @Abra: It not only messes up Japanese grammar but also for Finnish and to some extent German.
    Indeed. It is not useful at all. They should definitely do a better job out of that service.
  • Sarbojit
    Sarbojit
    Good thing is that I know a bit of German but Finnish is nightmare (15 cases compared to English, just 2)

(Wonders how did Torvalds write Linux!!!)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Good for you. But for the rest of us who're stuck with just 2-3 regular languages; Google Translate is a Godsend. But I just checked that Google Chrome didn't offer to translate email messages written in different language out of the box. I like the new facility in Gmail 👍
  • Sarbojit
    Sarbojit
    I will verify this feature tonight itself.

Off topic: are you the one playing in CE channel of Youtube? Why don't we open a forum for Guitar/Music related stuff in CE?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sarbojit
    I will verify this feature tonight itself.

Off topic: are you the one playing in CE channel of Youtube? Why don't we open a forum for Guitar/Music related stuff in CE?
    Okay this is off-topic; but yeah that's me playing in all those videos. I had uploaded few videos online years ago.

The chit-chat section is all yours for everything.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    products of google like maps and translate, they just created and let the users to enhance it.
    In translate when you got a wrong result you can just modify the result and by this way it's being accurate more and more.
    I remember that few years ago translate was just a mess but now improved much.
    Like this way in google maps users make map using #-Link-Snipped-#and google moderators approve it to go on live.
    I think google strategy is to offer free service, get free service (paste a ad) and earn money.😨

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Pinterest's growing popularity is attracting it lots of new and old friends. In a recent move, the Flickr service has announced tighter integration with the world's favorite photo wall: Pinterest....
While copying about 600 Mbs of photos from my USB flash drive to my computer, I found out that the reading speeds were abysmally low (around 10 Mbps). I began...
Quimera Responsible Racing and the UK's Alex Letteriello and his small team at Evelio Electric Supercars have jointly developed All electric drift car (aka AEDC) capable of covering 150 miles...
I remember the days when I first held a blackberry phone in my hand. I was told that it was an excellent phone for email and typing some real stuff...
Apple loves to count their iPads as 'computers' and claimed the #1 PC make spot. But HP has regained their position as the #1 PC manufacturer by shipping over 15.8...