Train Crash on the oldest rail section in America

[​IMG]
Twenty one cars carrying coal suddenly derailed just after midnight last Tuesday, killing the two 19-year old girls that were sitting on that bridge.

This is the site of the very first rail service in the United States. It went from Ellicott City, Maryland (pictured above) to Baltimore. It was horse-drawn rail service that started in 1833. This is also where Peter Cooper raced his Tom Thumb %28Locomotive%29 against horses to prove that steam locomotives would work.

That picture came from #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sad news. Why did the cars derail, I can't imagine any reason the wheels would leave the track.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Many a time I have gone from Bethesda, MD to Baltimore and beyond on my visits to my daughter at Bethesda. Ellicott is a bit off this route. Old railways facinate me. The legendary Tom Thumb!
    Sad that two uninvolved kids got killed.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    I've been waiting to hear what the NTSB had to say about this but I missed their #-Link-Snipped-# back in September.

I didn't miss much. They ruled out speed and weather but are otherwise clueless.
  • Indrajeet Roy
    Indrajeet Roy
    It's so sad to hear that. Have they ruled out foul play yet? Sad to say that this happens almost daily in India

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have installed all things properly but I am getting error in line numer 7 as: dirName = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(__file__)) NameError: name '__file__' is not defined . I want to test...
Niel Armstrong, the first man on the moon is no more. Armstrong died at the age of 82 following the complications after a heart-bypass surgery he had about a month...
Hello..am doing Pre-Final Year in Computer Science Engineering Major, i was thinking abt doing some mini projects so that it will be more value when doing final year projects ,...
So, if you love putting files on the cloud and are obsessed with accessing you favorite songs from anywhere, anytime - this news will probably be of interest to you....
India had thrashed Australia in under 19 cricket world cup final. Captain Unmukt Chand had made unbeated 111 studded with 6 Six's. Awesome batting performance!! CONGRATULATIONS INDIA ! -CB