Top Civil Engineering startups in India?

The startup culture is the new swag in the market these days. Every engineer, at least once in his life, dreams of running his own company someday. Free from the clutches of noisy bosses and shitty salaries. However, I see no new startups coming up from Civil Engineering background. Or am I not aware of them?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# has his own startup named Techture.co.in
    Then I have heard some startups in civil engineering domain in India. Not sure if they are operational or not.
    Mumbai based - Fusedcow
    Gurgaon based - SmartTech Design Solutions

I am not sure why there aren't many popular names in this arena. The immediate reasons that come to my mind are:
    • A founder may not get good quality talent to operate the business
    • There's no news surrounding funding core engineering startups (similar to web based or IT startups)
    PS: I may be ignorant here and might've not found many names. Please enlighten us.
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • rithesh salian
    rithesh salian
    Core is core
    But for startups to happen, there should be some innovation required.
    Now when core field is a exhaustive field , where in there is always a lot of research done already. It takes us to go out of the box to get researched there.
    For all startups , finance is the most important thing to sustain.
    In IT startups , people generally create websites for the unorganised sector to make it organise, and thus creating lot of money.
    Example, Flipkart, taxiforsure, Ola, housing.com, etc.

Tushar you are right , there are lot of engineers with no like to work under bosses.
    and they want to be their own boss.

You can check some of the companies who go in for consultancy based jobs and thus valuing themselves in these core sectors
    Techture.co.in
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You can also check for the slide below wherein there is always a scope for research and innovation, thus

Thanks.
    Rithesh
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you for your answer #-Link-Snipped-# We need to have more names in this list. Looks like so far there's only the big names ruling the roost in the civil engineering domain. Why it is so, well, only civil engineering graduates can answer.
  • manish kumar rajasthan
    manish kumar rajasthan
    Hi, I m manish from rajashan did B.E. civil engg in 2005. Today I m working as Junior Engineer in a Govt. Deptt since last 4 yrs. I have experience of 5 yr in private sector in construction.Mam, I am not satisfied with my job and want to do something other work. Please suggest me right path , Do I continue the same job or go for private company or do my self construction related work or open a company for become self employee.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    manish kumar rajasthan
    Do I continue the same job or go for private company or do my self construction related work or open a company for become self employee.
    A lot of that will depend on the kind of background and work experience you have. We can not really suggest you what's the right course without knowing the details.
  • jackocean1986
    jackocean1986
    Of course there are.
  • Viraj Voditel
    Viraj Voditel
    Didn't know this thread existed. Stumbled upon this and realised I've been mentioned here.

This is a very interesting topic. Since I've been in this field for a while now and founded a startup in this domain, here are my 2 cents.

It's a myth that there is no innovation to be done in this field of construction. Also, this is probably the most unorganised sectors, especially in India so there are no dearth of opportunities to make it better.

We are already working on technologies that are radically changing construction processes at Techture. And the popular technologies that we read about in the IT space like Big data, Internet of things, virtual reality, augmented reality, 3D printing etc. are applicable to the construction industry in ways that one cannot imagine. These are being rapidly adopted and will be changing the way we perceive this engineering discipline altogether.

Now about the reasons we don't see many civil engineering startups.

1. We're wired by the education system to think it's not possible.

Hey that was the case for most kinds of startups a few years ago, but the success of a few rapidly changed the scenario. We aren't taught about innovation in our colleges, so one has to look outside the box for ideas to start up. Nor are there many ideals or examples of startups to follow.

2. This field requires experience.

I'm not going to disagree with that. But like I mentioned, technology is changing this field. So you know how much more the 20 years experienced professional in this field knows about 3D printing in construction than you? You guessed it right. Zero. So if you start right now, you'll have more experience than him in 6 months in this particular niche.

3. The AEC industry is slow to adopting change.

Especially in India. But then, you can either look at it as a drawback or an opportunity to grab on. As an entrepreneur I don't think the choice is difficult. 😀

I've mentioned the ones which immediately came to mind, but there are probably more reasons than these 3 that stop people from starting up in this domain. Once you embark on the journey you realise there are far more challenges, but isn't that what a startup is all about?

Cheers. Let me know your thoughts.
  • Prasanna R G
    Prasanna R G
    Great ... Thoughts
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I wish more civil engineers in India come forward and list their startups here. It's high time that we build a list here of the smallest/biggest civil engineering startups in India.
  • Satya mahesh Visarapu
    Satya mahesh Visarapu
    Mam..am in my final year of btech..is it beneficial to do mba after my btech?? If yes,how is it??
  • Er. Pankaj
    Er. Pankaj
    Dear members, I completed my diploma in Civil engineering and then doing my graduation with distance mode and also doing job in field of High rise building, I want to start my own business in which i can design and construct residential building with help of architect and vastu Consultant.........Can you suggest me how to start and how much finance i required to start............
  • sandesh bukate
    sandesh bukate
    Here are few of them who started their startup and sankey is very renowned entrapreneur.
    Synergy Property Development Services - Sankey Prasad
    Global C Business Solution - Gaurav Modguil
    Smart Tech Design Solutions - Ankur Bajoria
    Thank you. And on similar note for more civil engineering related articles you can check this CRB Tech Civil Design Training - One of the Best Civil Design Training Institute in Pune which writes very good blogs on civil engineering.
  • Ajit GHODKE
    Ajit GHODKE

im in 3rd year civil , guys can i get only direction abt startups so that i will think in that direction , ssly i dont know wat to do after btech

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - If you are willing to start your business because you don't know what else to do - I'd say don't get into it. Startup world is super hard; probably 10x harder than getting a job. 

Make up your mind about getting into civil engineering startup, decide what kind of business you can do. You will have to do your own research instead of working on other people's ideas. You'll have to be super-convinced about your business idea; else failure is guaranteed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

VenueLook is an Events Services company founded by Ruchi Garg in 2013. This startup is trying to change the way venues are shortlisted and booked in India. They are an...
Wishing many happy returns of the day to CEan @pradeep_agrawal . We hope to see you back in action at CE, Pradeep! It's been long time 😀
The curiosity to find out how the blind people read, led this 13 year old boy Shubham Banerjee to find out how the Braille Language uses raised dots. He started...
Everyone remembers and still keep listening to Steve Jobs' commencement speech. This time it's Tim Cook delivering a motivational speech. Take a look -
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 may launch as early as in July this year, reports Whowired Korea. The Galaxy Note series of phablets have been extremely popular ever since their launch...