Top 10 Tips for Computer Science Students

1.) Math is More Important Than You Think
Math is all over Computer Science in many different ways. Software Engineers will use discrete math when working out algorithm complexity and efficiency, in graph theory, and recursion. People who work more directly with hardware will use discrete math in designing logical circuits and use automata theory for making finite state machines. At that level you are also working with the large amount of math inherent with electrical engineering. In research aspects you will be using probability and statistics for performance measurements and comparisons. Even game programmers use a lot of math when creating 3D environments.

2.) You'll Need To Write More Than Just Code

At the base level you will be writing comments in your code. Those are there for others to comprehend what you are trying to do, so explain what you are doing well. In software engineering you may be writing requirements, specifications, test plans, and more. There may be a time later in your CS career where you may need to write a research paper, that may get peer reviewed. Good writing skills will help you. Pay attention in your business writing classes and learn good technical writing skills now.

3) Don't Procrastinate

We know you've heard it a million times, but this is the worst possible thing you can do in a programming class. When you get an assignment, look it over and start on it right away. In the likely chance that you can't work through an error or figure out the logic, you'll have time to contact your instructor or use other available resources to solve the problem.

4) Don't Overcomplicate Things
The smaller a block of code is, without being redundant of other code, the better. When you break down algorithms which have nothing in common, often there is a loop or operation which is not unique, other than the parameters involved. A single method/function should not be longer, or wider than a standard 800x600 monitor view. If you comment well, a little larger is acceptable.

6) Impress Your Instructors, But Not Too Much
Your instructor can be your best friend, but don't be a suck up. Ask questions and show your instructor you're interested but don't annoy the rest of the class with constant questions and meaningless comments. If you can get to know your instructor, you may be able to leverage that relationship in the future for internships and recommendations.

7) Flowcharting Early and Often
Any good programmer will tell you planning is the most important part of any project. You'll have to flowchart when you get a real job, so get good at it now. Planning a project out before you start, even if it's just good pseudocode, can save you hours of frustration. Don't start your project in the compiler, instead sit down with a piece of paper and plan out your program.

8) Make Sure This is What You Want to Do

Many computer science students get into CS because they like games. Now there are a lot of positions in Computer Game Design that do not require you to be a programmer, so if you are not interested in the coding aspect talk to someone who might direct you to a better path. Areas such as Technical writing, Dramatic Writing, graphic arts, business management, and many more might be better places to go. Use your minor/electives to take computer oriented classes and get to know the CS majors.

9) Use All Your Resources
Don't hit a road block and then panic. There are thousands of resources online to help you work through a problem. From tutorials, to forums (like #-Link-Snipped-#), to live help, you should be able to find the help you need. Just remember it can take more than a few minutes for someone to help solve your problem so don't wait till the last minute. Google is definitley your friend and don't feel embarassed if you have to search for your problem. Don't expect people to do the work for you though, you'll still have to put forth some effort.

10) Become a Well Rounded Programmer
Programming is more than just C++ or Java. If you plan on programming for a living, you'll need to learn the business side of programming. This includes things like systems analysis, databases, security, and documentation. Also realize that C++ isn't the only language out there, you should be able to jump fairly quickly from language to language. Don't get stuck in one language. Learn the basics of other languages including web based. In addition to code, focus on your humanities. Nobody wants to interact with a dull uncultured nerd. Take classes that interest you and will provide you with a good non-technical education as well.

๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• sushant005
    sushant005
    Nice tip Mohit
    Being computer science student we have to follow these steps.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Great tips there!! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
  • mohan_185
    mohan_185
    really great boss .
    life is so simple only we make it complicated .
    same applies to programming .
  • safwan
    safwan
    very Supportive Tips for beginners and intermediates .
  • sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    good tips for all those computer science students who belongs to this field
    I agree with mohan that "life is so simple only we make it complicated .
    same applies to programming ".means programming is simple but we all make it complicated
    before came in this field or after coming in this field one should read all these tips .these tips will help them
    a lot
  • daniela
    daniela
    Good tips and very helpful.Thank you for posting.Hope you come up with more in future too.
  • educationinfo
    educationinfo
    Quite good tips! These will really help computer science students....
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    nice tips ๐Ÿ˜€ keep it up ๐Ÿ˜€
  • newae
    newae
    Thanks! Man that procrastinating one is killing me. I am doing it right now with my Database homework! ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Great tips mohit! Really helpful!
  • raavi
    raavi
    hello.. can u suggest anything regarding final year projects??
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    well said....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I am interested in developing mobile applications especially on java platform. Are there any tutorials or material available for this purpose? I already searched on net for this...
the e-bike..i.e., electronic bike... which does runs on a battery oriented one .it does not go exceeds speed more than 30km ....on constant it does olny reach 33+ .the model...
Hi there guys. I am really stuck and need some major help. As part of something i have to do, one of the things i have to do is to...
what is the difference between ac and dc resistance??? and why is there such a difference in both of them? i saw somewhere that ac resistance is 1.5 times dc...
Hi All Can someone please explain, to me, why there is a high current draw from the power-supply when DOL starting a 3-phase induction motor please? I understand that initially...