Tips For Engineers To Go Green

Here are a few suggestions:

1. If it's a short distance that you have to travel, walk to your destination.
Avoid using vehicles.

2. Don't use paper unless its very necessary.
don't use paper

3. Discard plastic. Use paper bags instead of plastic. And if you have waste plastic, do not throw it with other garbage. Keep it separate.

4. Save Electricity.

- Turn off lights, fans and ACs while leaving the room.
- Turn off monitors in offices while leaving the desk.
- Use stairs to climb down instead of elevators.
- Replace tubelights with CFL Bulbs.

Bring in your suggestions.

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    If it's a short distance that you have to travel, walk to your destination.
    Avoid using vehicles.
    If really there is great need that you can't walk then prefer public vehicles like buses etc
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The next lot of suggestions:
    1.Invent a lot of green technology.
    2.Save your money.Because money saving things are energy saving too.
    3.Live amongst the nature.You will feel more love for nature by doing that.
    4.If you live more in nature automatically you will not sit in front of PC or TV for long thus saving energy.
    5.Try finding solutions to problems around you.Mostly it is common sense that is required to save nature and go green.
    6.Maintain hygiene and health of you and your surroundings.It will save unnecessary usage of resources.
    7.Reduce,reuse and recycle.
    6.Even after going green lead a happy life.Because if you are happy,you will make best use of brain at saving resources πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Plant a tree.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    Plant a tree.
    Make it clear: Plant a tree for every house or a garden place... πŸ˜›

A few more tips! πŸ˜€

1. Change to Fluorescent Bulbs - If every house in the United States changed all of the light bulbs in their house that would be equivalent to taking one million cars off the streets.
    2. Don't Rinse - Skip rinsing your plates before putting them into the dishwasher. In average you will save 15 gallons of water per load. Plus, you will save time.
    3. Hang Outside to Dry - Get a clothes line or rack to dry your cloths. Your cloths will last longer and you will save money
    4. Turn off computers at night - don't just put them to sleep. You will save an average of 4 cents a day which adds up to $14.60 a year.
    5. Use Both Sides of Paper - if you have a printer with a double sided print option use it. You will save half of the amount of paper you would have normally used. Then when you’re done bring it to the recycle bin.
    6. Get rid of baths - Don't take baths, take showers. You will in average save about half the amount of water that you would if you were taking a bath.
    7. Don't get bottled water - Instead of bottled water get a reusable container to carry water. Also you can get a filter to make your home tap taste more like bottled water. It is definitely more cost efficient.
    8. Turn the water off when you brush - Your parents have said this before, now I say it. You will save 4 gallons of water doing this alone.
    9. Shorten your shower - Every minute you cut from your shower is roughly 5 gallons of water. The less time your shower takes, the lower is your impact on the environment.
    10. Recycle Glass - If you do not recycle this, it will take a million years to decompose.
    11. Don't Pre-Heat the Oven - unless needed, just turn the oven on after you put the dish in it. Also, to see if it's finished just look through the glass instead of opening it.
    12. Use Warm or Cold Setting on Washer - instead of the hot cycle use the warm or cold setting. This will save a lot of energy a year.
    13. Turn Down your Thermostat - Every degree lower in the winter or higher in the summer you put it is a 10% decrease on your energy bill.
    14. Turn off your lights - An easy one. Turn off your lights when you are not using them. The benefits are obvious.
    15. Get rid of junk mail - There are many services that can help you get rid of junk mail. That will lead to a lot less trees being cut down to take up room in your mailbox.
    16. Use Matches instead of lighters - Lighters are usually considered disposable so they will most likely end up in landfills. You can use the cardboard matches which are much more eco-friendly because they are made of recycled material.
    17. Don't get a paper phone book - Instead of getting a paper phone book. Use an online directory instead.
    18. Give things away - Take things that you are not going to wear or use and give it to a charity or someone who will use it.
    19. Go to a car wash - Going to a car wash is a lot more water efficient then washing your car at home.
    20. Stop paper bank statements - Why waste paper getting your bank statement mailed to you when you can just check it out online.
    21. Buy Rechargeable Batteries - Even though it will take a good investment to buy these you will find yourself gaining it back in no time.
    22. Pay your Bills Online - If every house in the US did this then we would save 18 million trees every year.
    23. Get a reusable bag - You can't recycle plastic bags, instead get yourself a reusable bag so that you won't have to worry about carrying your necessities.
    24. Do Errands in Bulk - Make a list of the things you have to do, and see if you can fit a couple of those things together in one ride.
    25. Inflate your Tires - If your tires are inflated at all times your car will run more miles on less gas.
    26. Wrap Presents Creatively - Without going out to get wrapping paper you can use newspaper, an old map, or anything else. It would look a whole lot more creative.
    27. Plant a Tree - It's good for the air, can keep you cool and can increase your property value.
    28. Buy Local Produce - Consider how much energy it takes for produce from china or any other country to come here. If you have the option to buy local, do it.
    29. Walk or Ride Your Bike When you can - If you have to go somewhere close, consider riding your bike, or walking there instead of your car. It's better on the environment and healthier.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    My contribution:

1. Recycling the cell phones:- Instead of throwing the old and damaged cell phones in the dustbin, give them to the cell phone recycling centers. One I found on net is #-Link-Snipped-# and the other one is very common-#-Link-Snipped-#.

2. Paper Recycling:- Give your waste paper and news paper bundle to the appropiate person/place where these are recycled.

2. Tree Plantation:- Plant a new sapling on your birthday every year, take a good care of them and see them growing with you.

3. Clean Surroundings:- Always keep your surroundings neat and clean. Throw the waste in the dustbin always. Encourage others to do the same.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    We must be simple and clean.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Plan more and more trees on the mountains
    Separate garbage from biodegradable and non-biodegradable
    Make those used papers(photocopied materials, printed handouts or old newspapers) as charcoal (paper charcoal)
    Used papers can be made as a fuel or reused for bits and paper mache... πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Students of Institute of Technology IT BHU (Banaras Hindu University) presented a model for generation of fuel from plastic solid waste at the annual technical festival called: "Technex 2011"

"We are deeply concerned with the environmental degradation and the programme has just given us the platform to show what technological innovation and intervention could do to meet fuel needs apart from taking care of the environment," said Sambit Dutta, student of B Tech (II), chemical engineering from IT-BHU, while talking to TOI on Sunday. "Basically, our idea is to convert non-biodegradable plastic waste into high grade fuel (petrol, diesel)," he explained.

Their model worked on the principle of thermal cracking of plastic wastes, proving to be more efficient and less expensive method to produce hydrocarbons of the range C5 to C23. The hydrocarbons have major proportion of straight chain alkanes (good sources of fuel) that are separated and the product of cracking is kept liquid and pumped into a series of distillation columns to come up with alkanes (C5 to C10 range) which are main constituents of petrol and diesel. Even, the bi-products have good commercial prospect with aromatic compounds (formed in the process) could be used for other purposes like naphthalene used as insecticide.

Some other students presented an eco-friendly method for removal of nitrogen oxides, identified as major contributor for the destruction of stratospheric ozone layer and causing green house effect and another model that displayed continuous production of biodiesel from waste frying oil. The model based on magnetic purification and blending to come up with cost-effective and eco-friendly biodiesel attracted attention.

[Source of information: Times of India Technology]

If any of you visited Technex 2011 at IT-BHU please share with us more news about the eco-friendly projects. πŸ˜€
    Something which really attracted me in this area.
    Waste Recycle in Sri Lanka "Elephant waste won't go to waste"
    [video=youtube;yOOprGpSryA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOprGpSryA[/video]

Unable to check out whether this is the one which I wanted to share, as Youtube is also blocked in my office... πŸ˜”
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    goyal420
    If really there is great need that you can't walk then prefer public vehicles like buses etc
    cycle is the best choice.
    so that we can save fuel ,reduce pollution,and the important thing is it makes us fit
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, use bicycle πŸ˜€ I guess I need to tell the same to myself! 😐
    The_Big_K
    Yeah, use bicycle πŸ˜€ I guess I need to tell the same to myself! 😐
    Even the foreign people prefer self pedaling to motorized... πŸ˜›
  • desperado
    desperado
    Hi, you can also find more green living tips here

thanks
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Oh, nice to see interest about being green! Don't forget to check out this thread as well:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Hope we can start some cool initiatives to motivate us to be greener.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, I have a project using a pen drive. i want to store data in it, which can be read in any system but can't be formatted or over...
Hi, I have implemented a wind farm in Digsilent Power Factory, and now Ξ™ am trying to run some simulations and see how the output power generated from the wind...
I remember during my college days, my friend from Industrial engineer would modify his motorcycle [Yamaha RX-100] every 15 days and add something new. He'd done all kinds of tweaks...
There are so many motorcycles in Indian market that it's always difficult to choose the best one. Why not collect first hand information from all our CEans about the best...
Can anyone post a simply graphic design code in c or c++? (the output of the code should look like a design(example:name or ball shape)