Times Of India Vs. The Hindu - Ad Says It All?

Just stumbled upon the following advertisement by The Hindu. I liked the ad.

What's your take?

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I don't understand... Are they showing people, who read TOI with lesser general knowledge???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    I don't understand... Are they showing people, who read TOI with lesser general knowledge???
    It's an advertisement by The Hindu.
    The_Big_K
    It's an advertisement by The Hindu.
    Yeah, that's what... Those people with lesser IQ say Times of India, and is been censored... Are "The Hindu" people trying to prove that they are smarter by beating TOI or has The Hindu bought TOI???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's not funny if I've to explain it - Scott Adams. Leave it.
    The_Big_K
    It's not funny if I've to explain it - Scott Adams. Leave it.
    I like it, but well. I didn't get the point... Anyways, lets welcome the comments from others... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hindu is actually good,but it depends on readers preferences as well ๐Ÿ˜›, if they are more into entertainment news so be it
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Ratan Tata's son Mukesh Ambani. Really?! ๐Ÿ˜
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    It is better to stop reading newspaper for news. Follow #-Link-Snipped-#. This where all newspapers get news from. Meanwhile read middle pages of National Newspaper like Express, Hindu, Economic times etc.

P.S: I think TOI sucks big time because of Page 3 type of news. Who cares if an actor or actress is marrying? Who cares if certain actress wears/ does not wear a particular dress?
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    TOI caters to the people who yearn for trivia, I won't call it bad, but it's not informative. Indian Express has some of the best opinions regarding current events. I haven't read others, so no comments.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    This print-media war just got better!๐Ÿ˜

426128_10150488256302531_683747530_9326169_405085994_n
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Reminds me of Samsung's ads about Apple, haha.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    this is what faking news have to say - "#-Link-Snipped-#"
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    "Stay Ahead Of The Times" - ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ‘
  • Reya
    Reya
    @Durga: seems they have removed the article from that site.

He he ๐Ÿ˜€ #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I don't know about any internal rivalry between TOI and The Hindu.

But watched that advert once again and Now I understand what The Hindu wants to convey!
    Awesome public rivalry again like Rin vs. Tide... ๐Ÿ˜€
    This particular thing baffled me in The Hindu history!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    TOI or Hindu, who cares? I liked the add and will follow Internet ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Just stumbled upon the following advertisement by The Hindu. I liked the ad.

What's your take?
    When I was in school my grand father was the reporter for Hindu (myself doing the leg work) in my town. My brother in law was the Delhi editor. I grew up with the staid Hindu. Am biased. Great ad.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    When I was in school my grand father was the reporter for Hindu (myself doing the leg work) in my town. My brother in law was the Delhi editor. I grew up with the staid Hindu. Am biased. Great ad.
    That's great! I remember everyone told me that reading Hindu editorials would help me improve my English skills.

I did and it helped. But later, I gave up reading newspapers altogether.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    But later, I gave up reading newspapers altogether.
    Am coming to that myself. There are many days on which I do not see the paper at all.
    What about online news papers?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    Am coming to that myself. There are many days on which I do not see the paper at all.
    Well, I decision to quit reading newspaper followed after I got fed up of reading about Film Stars, Cricket & Murders.

One wise man I met said that the media is so strange. If I help a beggar on the street, no one notices. But if I stab him; it becomes a news!

But that said, my general knowledge is on a constant decline; but that doesn't seem to affect me in any adverse way (so far).
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    I remember everyone told me that reading Hindu editorials would help me improve my English skills.
    Yes, the Hindu editorials are recommended. Even my teacher had asked me to do so to improve my English, and I followed but still need to go a long way to be proficient in the English language. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I found out that using simpler words (the non GRE ones) in communication is actually the way to go. I've met several people who use GRE words unnecessarily to 'establish' their superiority in any communication. Using words without knowing the context is foolish.

I've also realized that English is far from being a perfect language.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I found out that using simpler words (the non GRE ones) in communication is actually the way to go. Using words without knowing the context is foolish.
    I've also realized that English is far from being a perfect language.
    I agree whole heartedly.
    These two are my bibles:
    The Complete Plain Words by Sir Ernest Gowers (1954)
    Strunk, William, Jr. 1918. The Elements of Style
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    If the talk is about languages, then I have something to share ๐Ÿ˜€

I have heard that South Indians hate Hindi and hence prefer to speak in English. The stories may be true, but I always had a pleasant experience with anyone from South. My neighbors speak Tamil but they have no reservations about speaking in Marathi/ Hindi. ๐Ÿ˜€ (I want to learn Tamil, hope that I manage to speak in my life time)

Meanwhile, a school from New Zealand have adopted Sanskrit as its medium of teaching. Read this and you will be astonished. New Zealand school successfully uses Sankrit to teach English โ€“ The Global Indian

Even so, I always think that Bharat should have only two languages Sanskrit and Tamil. Every Indian Should learn them. Perhaps, this will make all confusions clear ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Trust me on this, I'm a South Indian and I really don't know how South Indians react to Hindi and / or English. ๐Ÿ˜จ Do they really hate Hindi? Or do they don't understand Hindi and so they prefer English? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Having stayed in North India for most (ALL) of my schooling years, I'm very fluent in Hindi. And I stayed in Pune and Mumbai as well, and I love to speak in Marati. My friends really enjoy me speaking in Marati. ๐Ÿ˜
    Infact I'm a little weak in my Mother tongue. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    Even I had read about New Zealand adopting Sanskrit language. Really nice! ๐Ÿ‘
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    If the talk is about languages, then I have something to share ๐Ÿ˜€ I have heard that South Indians hate Hindi and hence prefer to speak in English.
    There are fanatics in each language. A few years back I had to visit one of our units in Aurangabad quite frequently. My Marathi is negligible. I had to manage with what little Hindi I knew.
    In 1965 there was an anti Hindi wave in Madras. The DMK cadre went on a rampage attacking evn the people from north. Some of us provided shelter within IIT campus to north Indian visitors to Madras on that particular day. A black day indeed.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dancer_Engineer
    Having stayed in North India for most (ALL) of my schooling years, I'm very fluent in Hindi. And I stayed in Pune and Mumbai as well, and I love to speak in Marati. My friends really enjoy me speaking in Marati. ๐Ÿ˜
    It's Marathi ๐Ÿ˜€

By the way, hate spread on the basis of language is foolish. I however strongly believe that if a person is making a living in a foreign region; he/she is ought to know the local language. I mean, if you're a north Indian living in Chennai, you *should* learn Tamil!
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Dancer_Engineer
    Trust me on this, I'm a South Indian and I really don't know how South Indians react to Hindi and / or English. ๐Ÿ˜จ Do they really hate Hindi? Or do they don't understand Hindi and so they prefer English? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Same case! The problem in south arises because no one really understands Hindi much. My own cousins find it difficult to converse in Hindi, which sometimes becomes a plus for me to show off. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    At times it's really a bonus if you want to bitch about someone, and the person you are bitching about doesn't understand your language! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜
    @Issue: I know Tamil saar. I teach you. Not to worry wonly! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    It's Marathi ๐Ÿ˜€
    Oops. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I'd remember it now.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Punch_a_Tantra
    @Issue: I Tamilian saar. I teach you. Not to worry wonly! ๐Ÿ˜›
    LOL ๐Ÿ˜
    And after that, I'd teach you Telugu. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Dancer_Engineer
    LOL ๐Ÿ˜
    And after that, I'd teach you Telugu. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Tollywood's taking care of that! ๐Ÿ˜› Bengali films too, for bengali of course!
    Movies are a great medium to get yourself familiar with new languages. And vernacular movies have great story and depth! Huge fan of Bengali and Marathi movies!๐Ÿ‘
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    bioramani
    There are fanatics in each language. In 1965 there was an anti Hindi wave in Madras.
    Agreed. Look at what MNS is doing against anyone from Bihar/ UP. I believe, everything is purely political. Else it might be called a moment's hatred. "A sudden rage of anger".

Dancer_Engineer
    Do they really hate Hindi? Or do they don't understand Hindi and so they prefer English? ๐Ÿ˜€
    I think it is 50: 50. As Ramani sir rightly say "There are fanatics in each language. Anyways, why do people hate each other for trivial reasons?

The_Big_K
    I however strongly believe that if a person is making a living in a foreign region; he/she is ought to know the local language.
    Yep. Its like tasting local delicacies. Each place has something new to eat ๐Ÿ˜จ...learn ๐Ÿ˜. Respect it and love it. โ˜•
    Punch_a_Tantra
    @Issue: I know Tamil saar. I teach you. Not to worry wonly! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Seri! BTW I think it is high time I start watching movies ๐Ÿ˜ Bengali? Marathi? Hollywood? Bollywood? Tollywood? I haven't watched anything in years ๐Ÿ˜ญ
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Times Of India replies! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

422147_10151225994845427_756225426_22728742_69531245_n
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Punch_a_Tantra
    Times Of India replies! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

422147_10151225994845427_756225426_22728742_69531245_n
    Oye this has become direct fight! What more intensity is required!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    Oye this has become direct fight! What more intensity is required!
    The New York Sun and the Post had a similar feud very long back. The Post referred to the Sun as a dirty dog.
    The Sun promptly replied: The Post called us a dirty dog. However, we assure the Post that our behaviour towards the Post will be the same as that of any dog towards any post.

An astounding repartee.
  • 4_Tech
    4_Tech
    iv seen dis too...its actually a series and there are some more ads like this one on youtube...to be honest ive not read d hindu much(actually we do not get it where i stay )...but we do get toi n comparing it to a news paper like indian express id say that yes they do focus on an info-teinment kinda style . But then that said the ads do depict a too sarcasticil view on toi. Never the less they do manage to make d reader ponder on what they actually expect from a newspaper and who actually deliverers what they want...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I personally think TOI is a very biased newspaper. Most of the times, it's quite apparent that they're publishing 'paid news'.
  • regel
    regel
    Well I think if they spend money in gathering news rather than on ads the number of readers would improve.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The city specific supplement that comes with TOI totally sucks. No news about the city. All that we get here are page 3 party news, TV program schedules and whats hot on television and in bollywood. ๐Ÿ˜•
    We stopped getting TOI after a month 2 years back.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please anybody help me ,i'm facing the problem with the desktop pc, that is, when i connect a pen drive to my pc the system shuts down suddenly and when...
Have you ever wonder how much we use information in our daily works (presentation, project reports) without the permission of owner. Eg: An image copied from Wikipedia & Google. We...
Name: Raj *Engineering Trade: MS(SOFTWARE ENGINEERING) Location: VELLORE(TAMIL NADU) *Occupation: (Student|Working|Self-Employed|Unemployed; details please!) STUDENT...DNG MY FINAL YR Work Experience: (if applicable) *Hobbies & Interests: READING NOVELS... *Aim in life: (if...
hi ppl... i am dng a project on moving object detection in image processing in matlab..i am new to matlab and i have no ides how to start with it...can...