Time sharing and multi tasking

What is the difference between time sharing and multi tasking???

Replies

• chetan mehra
    chetan mehra
    see friend in a time sharing system there is a main computer(may be the mainframe having large ammount of memory)from which several video terminals are connected by telephone wires,users working on these terminals can store to and retreive data from the main computer whenever he need it.. main computer spends a little time in one job then it attends the next job for some time and after a specified time it returns to the starting task which was left by it,this way it shares its time so it is called time sharing system... as you can see that this system can perform many tasks at a time therefore it is also called multitasking system....
  • mohit4688
    mohit4688
    time sharing means one task in a time and time divides between different tasks and only one task works at a time
    but in multitasking more no of tasks works at the same time.................
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    As far as time sharing systems are concerned they performe tasks provided to them one at a time and then move to another and if the first task is not completed due to any reason then it moves back to the firat only after completing another tasks but this is not the case with multitasking as they can performe many tasks at a time
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    Although there is not a big difference between time-sharing os and multi-tasking
    os.some books consider them synonyms of each other but some books explains the difference between them.
    Time-sharing OS is a kind of multitasking OS with a short limited time
    slices given to each precesses whereas in multitasking OS there is no
    time slice assigned to each process.
  • paresh006
    paresh006
    thanks anand...good explanation
  • paresh006
    paresh006
    thanks anand...good explanation
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    Multitasking: Multitasking is a method of running several jobs at a time, now jobs can be either in the form of programs, processes, threads, user performing multitaking(playing songs, working on word processor etc.) at a time in single pc only etc. The main idea behind to do so is better CPU Utilization.Several jobs are kept in the memory at a time such that when CPU is busy in execution of one job or task then OS switches over to other job and make it ready to get its next turn for execution by CPU. In this CPU is used efficiently.
    Time Sharing: Time sharing is sharing of a computer resource among many users by means of Multiprogramming and Multitasking.In Time sharing severalsystems(called as dumbed servers having only computer peripherals-no CPU they have) are attached to a single dedicated server having own CPU. Dumbed servers share the CPU of dedicated server as they don't have their own CPUs. Every action or command in Time sharing operating systems is so short that very short span of CPU time is assigned for each user and thus the users at dumbed systems have an impression that their have their own CPU though th fact is they hare the CPU of dedicated server. Such short periods of time is called as Time-slots or Time-slices or Time-quantum.
  • paresh006
    paresh006
    BCA_GIRL
    Multitasking: Multitasking is a method of running several jobs at a time, now jobs can be either in the form of programs, processes, threads, user performing multitaking(playing songs, working on word processor etc.) at a time in single pc only etc. The main idea behind to do so is better CPU Utilization.Several jobs are kept in the memory at a time such that when CPU is busy in execution of one job or task then OS switches over to other job and make it ready to get its next turn for execution by CPU. In this CPU is used efficiently.
    Time Sharing: Time sharing is sharing of a computer resource among many users by means of Multiprogramming and Multitasking.In Time sharing severalsystems(called as dumbed servers having only computer peripherals-no CPU they have) are attached to a single dedicated server having own CPU. Dumbed servers share the CPU of dedicated server as they don't have their own CPUs. Every action or command in Time sharing operating systems is so short that very short span of CPU time is assigned for each user and thus the users at dumbed systems have an impression that their have their own CPU though th fact is they hare the CPU of dedicated server. Such short periods of time is called as Time-slots or Time-slices or Time-quantum.
    good reply..thanks😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

tell me answer of this question how to make connection between webform and sql server in asp.net with c#.
Hey Guys Techfest has launched its events.Here are some of them: ArchiTech: Design and Innovate Autobots: Enter the age of Robo Sapiens Code Maestros: No motors, no engines, only pure...
Hi, I'm a senior at a University in the states, and I am trying to get an electrical enginnering club going at our school. I don't have a problem getting...
i am a btech final year student...recently i have done a project on research topic...i had sent my research paper in IEEE,,but it was rejected there,,,,,,,,now i want to know...
During the production processes of Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI - all three isomers) - what are the inherent hazards one might need to consider to the detriment of the production...